Buying MBP15 (Late 2013) Refurbished or New?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by latko, Oct 21, 2014.

1. latko macrumors newbie

Hi guys,
    i am following this forum for some time now, and i can say that there is some very useful info here :)
    So, i (finally) plan to buy MBP 15 for me .
    I was considering all the options and in the end I decided to go with the Refurbished MBP 15 from Apple Store.
    Intel Core i7 Quad-Core 2.3GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB Flash Storage NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
    The price for this one is 2040 + 60$tax in CO = 2100$
    Later i saw that the same configuration is available in B&H and Adorama for 2200$.
    Now i cant decide if i should go with the refurbished one or give extra 100 and buy it new from B&H or Adorama?? Or maybe exclude the dedicated graphic card and go for the mid 2014 model?
    I read that the refurbished items are not coming in the original packaging, but that makes no difference for me since I am in Europe, and i will not have the privilege to unpack the package anyway :confused: My relatives will bring the laptop from US for me.
    What do you guys think?
    Any thoughts on this will be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Blackstick macrumors 6502

Blackstick

You got a great deal and for SURE keep the one you bought with the dedicated video card. I worked at an Apple Store for 7 years, and refurbished was one of the best, most cost effective ways to get a great mac. They look brand new and are checked very thoroughly for functionality (more than their brand new cousins, in fact). You'll rarely see a refurbished mac have any problems, I have one that's 8 years old going strong, my mom has one turning 5 with no issues.

3. Redsfan macrumors regular

it was one of those rare days yesterday for us, lol...read my thread.

4. mosulli macrumors newbie

Thanks for posting about ordering your new refurbished MacBook I have been looking into getting a refurbished macBook as well. Did you get it from Apple refurb or a different site. I have been looking all around and have noticed places like www.macofalltrades.com have cheaper prices.

5. latko thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi guys,
    sorry if I was not clear, but i did not yet order my MBP. I am still thinking if i should order the refurbished one for 2100$ from Apple, or get the new one from B&H for 2200$.
    I wanted to get your opinions before i decide between the two :)
    Thanks.

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Go for the refurb one. They're as good as new.

Use the money saved on AppleCare+.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

AppleCare+ doesn't exist for Macs, that's an iPhone/iPod only product.

But yes, AppleCare might be a good idea with how unrepairable Macs have become.

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

My bad :)

9. latko thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi guys,
    i just ordered the refurbished configuration from Apple web page :)
    Intel Core i7 Quad-Core 2.3GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB Flash Storage NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
    I will order Apple Care plan probably next month.
    Thanks for your feedback guys, appreciate it. :)