Buying me iTouch tomorrow..what shall i check?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by XheartcoreboyX, Oct 22, 2007.

1. XheartcoreboyX macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

so im FINALLY going to get my 16GB iPod touch tomorrow night ..

and i wonder if i have to check anything to make sure the device is tottaly ok!

what are some common problems in the iTouch ??

thanks!

2. Reimer macrumors regular

Reimer

negative black screen issue
    dead pixels

those are the two common ones that I can come up with off the top of my head

3. XheartcoreboyX thread starter macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

and how to check those -__- ??

4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

If you don't notice it on your own, you probably shouldn't check for it... It won't do anything except make you annoyed with your new purchase (Which Apple probably won't take back)

5. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Check serial number. 4th & 5th digits are manufacture date - there appears to be better quality, or at least so far fewer problems, in Wk. 40 or above. Many Wk 39s, some Wk 38s, and fewer Wk 37s might also be OK, but you'll have a better chance of avoiding problems with a later-model.

The main problem again is the negative-black issue. Look at anything dark (picture, video, etc.) and if it looks negative/reversed, or shimmers, it could be a problem. There are many, many threads on this, and many formal reviews also mention it.

EDIT:

This is actually good advice. Forget I said anything. What matters is that you're happy with the device. Look for a higher serial number, buy it, and see if you like it - if you're OK with it, don't worry, just enjoy it.

6. funkyshaker macrumors regular

iPod Touch, Touch, iTouch - does it really matter? You all know what the OP meant by it!

Anywho, iTouch is alot easier to say than iPod Touch and if you think it relates to something else then you are just plain wrong in the head.

Jees, isn't there more pressing things to be worried about?

Answering the question asked - when you get home with your iTouch ( :D ) just enjoy it. Don't try looking for too many imperfections otherwise it will spoil the whole experience. As many have said before look for a higher week number - mine is a week 38 and all is fine. I had a week 37 before and it had the negative black issue.

Enjoy - it's a great piece of kit.

7. SuperDaddy macrumors member

My week 38 is just fine. But the later the week, the better off you'd be I guess.

8. XheartcoreboyX thread starter macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

got it today. Yaaaaay !

Is so damn perfect. Week 40 and has no single issue such as negative black or any dead pixels!!!!

Sooooo happy and Im actually sending this comment from it right now!!

9. paetrick macrumors regular

Try turn full brightness on:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=372912

10. XheartcoreboyX thread starter macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

11. paetrick macrumors regular

So there is total black when looking on a black bakground with full brightness? /You have to look close, it's not as obvious as in the picture) if so i'm switching mine (so be honest,to be without a touch for 2 weeks for nothing isn't what i want if i get another one with same screen issue back)

(Thought it was like this on every touch)

12. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

I'm just curious why anyone would have the brightness up to 100%? Seems like that'll make the backlight burn out much faster - as with many other devices, setting it lower (mine is 75% or so) is better. And if you can't see sparkles or bleed-through at lower settings, why worry?

13. XheartcoreboyX thread starter macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

well it looks just a little bright black.. i dont know if thats a "problem" but it didnt bother me really..