Buying Memory Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JohnnyOlbash, Dec 10, 2008.

1. JohnnyOlbash macrumors newbie

I read the guide but I am still confused. Sorry. I also read about nine pages of the 8GB of RAM thread and now I am dizzy.

I just want the 4GB TOTAL. So I should get the 2x2GB so I do not lose channeling (whatever that means).

What do I get? I want to be sure what I buy is compatible and I have know idea what I am doing.:eek: Here is a screenshot of the "about this Mac" of my MBP.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Go to this page on OWC and select they type of Macbook Pro you have. Just get the 2x2GB sticks.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Dual channel is overrated. Buy my 4GB of ram. :D

4. JohnnyOlbash thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool. Just one question though: 47$ seems cheap, is it a trustable brand? Or are other places just really over priced? What brands would you trust in your MBP?

5. JohnnyOlbash thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay. I am at the Apple site so I can find out what kind of memory I need for my model MBP. They don't list a 15" 2.33 GHz model?

I am confused. I just want to find out what kind I need so I can go to newegg and get the correct kind.:confused:

PC2-5300 is the only kind I see at newegg under 2x 2GB Kingston so I guess that is what I need?

6. Schinder macrumors newbie

Go to crucial.com, there you can download a tiny program which will tell you exactly what you need to buy, no room for mistakes. You don't have to buy from them but it will tell you what you need. I have bought from them twice though and I am very satisfied.

7. JohnnyOlbash thread starter macrumors newbie

Can I trust that program? I know I am being paranoid, but as a student, my $2500 needs to last awhile:)

8. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

RAM from OWC is perfectly fine. That's where I've bought all my RAM from for all my current and previous Macs. Crucial is also a very trustworthy site. You have nothing to worry about.