Buying Mini to hold myself over until Mini 2?

TJ5921

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
237
1
I have a mid-2010 15 inch MacBook Pro and an iPhone 5. I'm very tempted by the size price and style of the mini, but like many other dissapointed in the old hardware and anticipation of a Mini 2 in a few short months. My question is would it be a bad idea to get a mini to use until the new version is released then selling and upgrade? How many people normally do this? Is it smart or am I just wasting time and money? Just wondering if its better to simply wait it out and ignore impulses.
 

1080p

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
2,727
2,120
Planet Earth
I have a mid-2010 15 inch MacBook Pro and an iPhone 5. I'm very tempted by the size price and style of the mini, but like many other dissapointed in the old hardware and anticipation of a Mini 2 in a few short months. My question is would it be a bad idea to get a mini to use until the new version is released then selling and upgrade? How many people normally do this? Is it smart or am I just wasting time and money? Just wondering if its better to simply wait it out and ignore impulses.
Uh... you speak as if you are 100% confident that the Mini will definitely catch up to current gen iPad hardware in the future. I am willing to bet that the Mini is ALWAYS going to be a spec generation behind the 9.7" iPad... to be able to sell it for such a low price. So... there is no "hold me over" proposition for an iPad Mini.
 

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
1,232
63
You seem to be assuming that there will be another one "in a few short months" that may not be correct. Yes Apple did bring out a new iPad on a short update cycle but I would say that this is because they are repositioning their event cycle to take advantage of the holiday buying season.
It's looking like they want to bring out the iPhones and iPods in September and the iPads in October. So the next batch of iPads will likely be in a year not a few short months. We shall see but I don't expect a Spring event now and certainly not one with the mini.
 

TJ5921

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
237
1
Uh... you speak as if you are 100% confident that the Mini will definitely catch up to current gen iPad hardware in the future. I am willing to bet that the Mini is ALWAYS going to be a spec generation behind the 9.7" iPad... to be able to sell it for such a low price. So... there is no "hold me over" proposition for an iPad Mini.
Well regardless of whether or not it catches up to the full sized iPad I still believe the next update will include 1 gb of ram, retina, and a new chip for the retina screen. This is ultimately what I am after so getting one now to hold myself over until the inevitable update is what I am referring to.
 

1080p

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
2,727
2,120
Planet Earth
Well regardless of whether or not it catches up to the full sized iPad I still believe the next update will include 1 gb of ram, retina, and a new chip for the retina screen. This is ultimately what I am after so getting one now to hold myself over until the inevitable update is what I am referring to.
Uh... ok. Its just really funny the way you say it. Your choice of words. "Hold me over." Apple just wanted to get this Mini out before the holidays. So they refreshed the Retina iPad at the same time. So... you are going to "hold yourself over"........ for a year? It's just kind of odd to say "hold myself over." Apple WILL NOT release any more iPads in less than a year's time. This cycle will either:

a. Last until this time next year.

or

b. Last longer than a year and will resume the March/April timeframe in 2014.

There will not be another 6 month refresh.
 

TJ5921

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
237
1
I don't know how you can be so sure there won't be a refresh in March as indicated by a large amount of members on this board. There were also people saying the iPad 4 wouldn't happen but Apple did it. Hard to put it past them.
 

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
784
342
Aberdeen, Scotland
You might as well buy it, and keep reading the rumours, then sell it a week or so before the new one is released, as many people do with iOS devices. Doubling down on secrecy or not, there weren't many surprises when the mini was launched.

I'll try not to buy one until it has retina*, and something like that will likely be leaked ahead of time.

*that may be difficult - i walk past the Apple store every day on my way to work, and I am weak...
 

TJ5921

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
237
1
You might as well buy it, and keep reading the rumours, then sell it a week or so before the new one is released, as many people do with iOS devices. Doubling down on secrecy or not, there weren't many surprises when the mini was launched.

I'll try not to buy one until it has retina*, and something like that will likely be leaked ahead of time.

*that may be difficult - i walk past the Apple store every day on my way to work, and I am weak...
Yeah this is probably what I'll do. I've held off on an iPad and I've always wanted one in a smaller size. I was disappointed with the specs even though I expected the rumors to be true. Glad to hear most don't expect the Mini 2 to be announced until next fall though! Excited for my new device!
 

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
2,783
862
My question is would it be a bad idea to get a mini to use until the new version is released then selling and upgrade? How many people normally do this? Is it smart or am I just wasting time and money? Just wondering if its better to simply wait it out and ignore impulses.
THIS is exactly why the iPad 3 owners are up in arms. Many of us tend to "lease" our iPads/iPhones because we're junkies and Apple is pretty good at being on schedule for our next fix. Sell your iPad/iPhone a few weeks before the next model and get the upgrade at a minimal loss (or even a profit with some ebayers).

Im not blaming Apple but this whole Q4 update for iPads really messed with peoples plans. Luckily for me I was unimpressed with the iPad3 after 2mo so I sold mine a while ago and recently sold my iPad 2 for $330 so I got more than enough to pay for my Mini. But I do feel bad for people who will now have to lose a significant amount with their resale and dont even know when the iPad 5 will come out.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.