Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I'm contemplating buying mobile me on eBay to save a few bucks what should I look for to get a full account? I don't want to be "added" to someones account.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
Of course you want your own account, otherwise the seller can access your email etc I think

Yeah I read somewhere some sellers were selling spots on family plans. I def don't want that. Also does anyone know if I can buy another one on eBay in a year when it runs out? Or do I have to pay apple direct to keep my current account going?

H00513R

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Indiana
Yeah I read somewhere some sellers were selling spots on family plans. I def don't want that. Also does anyone know if I can buy another one on eBay in a year when it runs out? Or do I have to pay apple direct to keep my current account going?

No, you can buy another code to renew the next year.

RamblinWreck

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2008
I buy mine from eBay every year. Since you are trying to save money, ask the seller to email you the activation code instead of shipping the box to you. Saves cash and time.

crobbins

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2006
Colorado
I buy the family pack on eBay every year and get a great savings..I've heard a few scary stories about buying these on eBay, but I've had no trouble at all!

kultschar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
Just watch out for people who are selling it VERY cheap with only 5GB!! These people are splitting up the family pack hence they will always have control of your account as they are the family controller!!

make sure you are getting the 20GB version

j3yq

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2007
Iowa
Just watch out for people who are selling it VERY cheap with only 5GB!! These people are splitting up the family pack hence they will always have control of your account as they are the family controller!!

Nice TIP, didn't know that... ill be keeping an eye out when i buy my MM

Sailorloco

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2010
CT

Great tip but, I bought mine at the store and it says I only have 10gb avail....I bought my wife's on ebay and says the same...only 10gb avail. Did this change or do I need to pay to upgrade?

Mando

Jemi9OD

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2010
Durham, NC
I'm a huge fan of buying MobileMe on eBay. My wife and I both have me.com accounts, so the family pack is the only way to go for us. Using eBay, I can generally get the family pack for less than the single user version.

I always look for sellers willing to email the codes - I'm willing to pay an extra dollar or three, when I'm saving $50, to have the peace of mind of being able to go right to the me.com website and enter the code right away.

kultschar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
Great tip but, I bought mine at the store and it says I only have 10gb avail....I bought my wife's on ebay and says the same...only 10gb avail. Did this change or do I need to pay to upgrade?

Mando

Will check, maybe it is 10GB and not 20!!

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
I use to buy the family pack on E-Bay and didn't have any troubles but given the possible scams, I use Amazon now.

The individual is $70 and the family pack is $100. Almost the same as on E-Bay. I also take comfort in the fact that I won't get scammed.

Sailorloco

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2010
CT
Thanks Weaselboy, apparently I wasn't looking in the right place. I do have 20gb on each account. I had looked in the iDisk folder which read 10gb and where I needed to look was in the setup folder.

Mando

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
25-35

I've picked up mm and .mac renewals on ebay for 25-35$, full accounts. Just setup a little alert on ebay and buy when it is cheap, NOT when you really need it. the codes never expire.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.