buying monitors for computer (maybe rokit?)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by blakintosh, May 26, 2008.

1. blakintosh macrumors member

Hey

Ive been surfing this page and i have found that many people here like the "Rokit" monitors.

I want speakers for my mac/ipod but i dont want a "toy speaker", i want something more serious. I will not use this speakers/monitors for music editing and such.

I have found this http://www.guitarcenter.com/KRK-RP-6-Rokit-Powered-Reference-Studio-Monitor-103858668-i1153142.gc

I want a pair of rokits but im not sure how to connect them or if it is possible.
    i think in total it will be $300 (a pair of rokits)

Is this a good decision or do you have any other recomendation? If i buy a pair of this ones what other things might i need to connect it to a macbook/ipod.

I am newbie in this area and im really interested in upgrading to nicer audio speakers. I dont want to invest a lot of money. (less than 300, 50 bucks for extra things)

thanks in advance

2. kubricks macrumors member

The KRK RP-5's are really cheap now.

But these powered monitors are for producing and mixing music (pro audio), not really for listening. They have a flat response rather than boosted or tuned that you might have in home speakers. You may find that you do not like the sound of them compared to home speakers. They are nice monitors though.

They have 1/4" inputs. You will need either a patch cable or an external sound card that has 1/4".

3. blakintosh thread starter macrumors member

4. kubricks macrumors member

Well the KRK's you spoke of are powered (amp is inside the speaker) and you need to plug them into a power outlet to have them work.

I've seen them for $99 bucks each so it's a pretty decent price for pro audio speakers. It's not like you can't listen music on them and you can always EQ to boost the low/highs to your liking.

5. BennyK macrumors 6502

Good luck finding any stores that have the Rokit 5's in stock, they have a new model to replace the 5's I think 5g2's. If you find the $99 Rockit5's anywhere, let me know