Buying more RAM ... Advice needed

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by krayziekray, Aug 14, 2009.

1. krayziekray macrumors 6502

I'm hoping to update my RAM to the maximum allowed by my machine and would like to know how to find out what the upper limit on my machine is. I'm currently using a Blackbook and have listed the System Details below.

Code:
    Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook3,1
    Processor Name:	Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed:	2.2 GHz
    Number Of Processors:	1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 1 GB
    Bus Speed:	800 MHz
    SMC Version (system):	1.24f2
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled
    Does anyone know what the upper limit of the machine I have is - or how to find it (is it 4GB or 6GB .... not 100% sure ... i think its 4GB), the best place to purchase the RAM ... and most imprtantly, what to look at when purchasing it.
    I know so far it's DDR2 667MHz ... anything else i need to know?

Cheers,

:apple: KrayzieKray :apple:

2. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

www.macsales.com

They will tell you compatible RAM packages and the maximum allowed for your machine. I purchases RAM from OWC (macsales) about 6 months ago and have had no problems with the RAM since. They have great installation videos to help you install the RAM and also how to replace a HD. OWC has a lifetime return policy on their memory so if it ever goes bad, just send it back and they will give you a fresh set free of charge.

3. krayziekray thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your quick reply ... I've had a look on the site and it states that my machine will go up to 6GB RAM ... however, after a google search, someone has stated that it maxs out at 4GB .... Link. I really dont want to purchase too much/too little.

EDIT: Plus I'm in the UK so shipping is making the Ram abit pricey. ;)

4. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Well, what are you going to be using it for? I have 4GB of RAM and find it more than sufficient for what I need my computer for (light video editing, virtualization, internet browsing etc.) You most likely will not need the 6GB and it will be much cheaper to get the 4GB.

5. krayziekray thread starter macrumors 6502

Mostly for light Video & Audio editing, Internet Browsing, Virtualization of Windows using VMware or VirtualBox, University Work (game and application programming, writeups etc.)

Anyone know any UK sites? Shipping from the US makes it almost equal to purchasing form my local computer store.

6. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I think you will still be fine with 4GB. FYI, 6GB isn't apple supported, its OWC supported. OWC does testing on their machines before they say that they are compatible with 6GB, but you don't want to spend all that money and then have your machine be unstable. Just proceed with caution when installing more RAM than apple officially supports.

EDIT: Try crucial if you want more global support for shipping, I have never bought from them but I have heard many people have success buying their RAM.

7. krayziekray thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks touchdownjesus4 for your help, I think I'll stick with the 4GB (2 x 2GB Sticks). Great site, and at a damn well decent price aswel :D

Cheers mate,

8. RDM3 macrumors regular

Check out newegg.com also