Buying more RAM. Where can I get it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lisamel, Mar 4, 2008.

1. lisamel macrumors regular

lisamel

Hi!
    I am planning on buying an iMac very soon, with 1 GM RAM.
    But I wanted to buy more, so I can have 4 GB RAM.. Does anyone know where I could buy this?
    Ive had a search on this site but couldnt really find any except www.crucial.com and they dont seem to have 2x2 GB RAM at the minute :)

Thanks!!! :D

2. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Lots of threads on this forum concern RAM and its manufacturers. I got mine at Crucial, but there are plenty of people that swear by www.newegg.com and OWC,http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/

Just make sure you don't overpay for it and that it comes with a solid return policy if it doesn't work. I'm not sure about Newegg, but I do know OWC has it. Good luck,
    Morod

3. em5photog macrumors regular

em5photog

I suggest ramjet.com I bought memory for my new macpro not only was the shipping fast shipped same day i ordered. It was well packed and the heat sink and ram looked like it came from apple and it works perfect and the temps stay with a degree or two of my apple ram . Where i saw some ram for owc macsales were ruinning alot hotter than apple ram .

4. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

Never bought from OWC before yesterday, but Ive heard good things here. Ordered an iMac yesterday and went to Crucial to look for ram. 4gb was $110. OWC was $95. I went with OWC.

I see ramjet is WAY overpriced compared to crucial or owc. One 2gb stick for the iMac at ramjet is $125. Why so much? Thats more for 1 stick than for 2 at OWC or crucial.

5. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Newegg is the cheapest by a considerable amount. Its also probably the highest rated online computer store in the world, PC users are obsessed with it, Mac users are slowly starting to realize it exists. Plus how many stores out there have websites wanting to take a tour of the warehouse because they are so great? http://www.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.aspx?i=2694

6. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Actually, OWC has a horrific reputation outside this site. Most people complain about their abysmal return policy, selling used items as new and lack of customer support. Buy at your own risk. I suggest Newegg as a far more credible alternative.

7. davinche macrumors regular

davinche

I've purchased ram from crucial, newegg, and OWC. I have never had an issue with any of those three. I've also purchased many times from zipzoomfly.com since their warehouse is about half an hour from my house so even ground I get items the next day. Although your profile says you are from Norway so I don't know how many of those sites will ship international.

8. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I bought 4GB or RAM for my iMac at $95 from OWC. No issues at all and I received everything quickly via First Class mail.