Buying MPB 13" Apple Store or Apple.com?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mdgolom, Jul 1, 2009.

1. mdgolom macrumors 6502

I just sold my 3 year old MBP and want to get a base 13" MPB. I'm probably going to let Apple bump the RAM from 2GB to 4GB. With my education discount, it's only $90 more which isn't bad since buying 4GB is arounf $70 from Crucial or OWC and I don't need the memory I remove. That being said, if I buy from the Apple store they can take a couple of days to install the memory (according to them) or I can order from Apple.com as a BTO. Does anyone know how long it takes Apple.com to prepare and ship the order? Do they ship UPS ground? I want a larger HD at some point, but I'd rather do that myself.

The trade-offs are that the Apple Store I'll get it sooner. If I order from Apple.com I get a better choice of "Free" printers. I found most of the printers they sell in the Apple store for $99.00 are junk with poor reviews.

Just looking for thoughts or opinions.

2. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

Well, kind of a trade-off: If you buy from the online store, I imagine they have people all day putting together machines and would be practicing best practices such as grounding themselves so to not short-circuit anything. But when you get your MB through FedEx or UPS, it's likely to be through a war as evidence by banged up corners on the box. Let me be clear: No dents on the machine itself, but the cardboard box ripped a bit and banged up to the point the MB box is affected.

At the store the geniuses are rushing around trying to do things as fast as possible . . . they could easily not ground themselves. Sort of like all those Employees Must Wash signs you see in restaurants. I wonder how many do wash, especially when the restaurant is busy.

There you go. :) Probably over-analyzed, but since you asked such a question, I am sure you'd appreciate an over-analyzed response. :)

3. mrj205 macrumors regular

All BTO's from the online apple store are assembled in China. From order placement to completed assembly is from my experience about 3 days. Then international transit can cause some issues with delays and what not. If I were you, I would just let them take care of it in the Apple Store unless you are determined to get a different printer. It would be much quicker that way.

4. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

personally I like getting it form the store, the whole experience is exciting, Just got one for the wife, but we order that from the web-store, was shipped from China, to alaska, to california to Portland then delivered. BTW box was not bashed up, the computer is beautiful.

5. WeedKiller87 macrumors member

WeedKiller87

Each has its pros and cons...

Local Apple Store
    + Get your MBP within 10 minutes
    + Easy returns/exchanges
    + Apple Geniuses willing to help
    + Have stock configuration models
    + Back-To-School Promo
    - Unlikely to have any BTO models (some stores may have them)
    - Can't engrave your iPod

Online Apple Store
    + BTO MBPs
    + Have stock configuration models
    + Can engrave your iPod
    + Free shipping
    + Back-To-School Promo
    - Takes about a week to get your MBP
    - Have to return/exchange by mail (takes a while and you pay shipping)

I hope this helps.

6. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

I vote Apple Store. It's just an overall good day when I go. You can get your MacBook and play with everything else in the store. Plus, you get your MacBook right then, no waiting.

7. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

Just call and make sure they have everythingyou want in stock when you go.

8. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...since you can't return BTO machines just get it from the :apple:store = instant gratification...

9. mdgolom thread starter macrumors 6502

I wanted to thank everyone for their comments. I'm probably going to get the MBP at the Apple store. The only little think I left out of the initial post was the Apple stores sometimes can take a couple of days to install the memory. I bought a Mini two months ago. One store said it would be 3-5 days for installation of an additional GB of Ram. I went to a different store who said 24 hours. After having dinner at the mall, I was driving home when I got the call the Mini was ready. I might just go at lunch today and order the MBP then hope it's ready to be picked up after work. If not, I should be able to pick it up tomorrow or Saturday.

The printer was a minor issue since I already have one I like, so I'll go for whatever is free after rebate.

Thanks Everyone!