Buying multiple refurbs impossible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by crazydrumma, Mar 26, 2009.

1. crazydrumma macrumors regular

Hi everyone, my wife and I have been planning to switch to AT&T as soon as we could afford the iPhones. Now we can get a refurbished iPhone for $99 (8gb), which is really great! However, AT&T is telling me that we can only place one order per household for a refurb iPhone... so, basically:

1. We buy an iPhone online (refurb)
    2. We go to the AT&T store to add the second line
    3. They make us pay full price for a new one???

So they seriously won't let you just get two refurbs? That's asinine! I have read about people on here saying they purchased more than one... is this true? I would really like to not be forced into paying more.

2. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

I've read people who have purchased one at AT&T. All the ones around me swear they don't sell refurbs, ever.

3. crazydrumma thread starter macrumors regular

yea, now they say you can buy one. But they're also saying it's impossible to purchase more than one refurbished iPhone. Which is strange.

4. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Surely that's at any one time.

5. crazydrumma thread starter macrumors regular

Apparently not, the salesperson kept saying "well, we can't sell more than one refurbished iPhone per household, to ensure we have enough for other customers."

even though apple has so many refurbished iPhones....grrr

6. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Now? I asked them two days ago...

7. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

In other words, "We want to sell one phone cheap so that you get hooked, the others we are going to charge normal price so that we don't lose our shirts".

You have to consider that even an iPhone for $199 or $299 is still a heck of a deal.

8. crazydrumma thread starter macrumors regular

so there's no alternative? Has anyone had experience with this issue or gotten past it?

9. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

AT&T Online limits you to one iPhone per service address. Before anyone jumps in, "Unless you have a Premier Account". For the OP, a Premier Account means that you quailfy for a group / company discount. A couple of other terms you may hear in relation to Premier; NAD - National Account Discount, FAN - Foundation Account Number.

Have you tried your local area Best Buy retail store? In some markets, Best Buy is selling refurbished iPhone 3Gs.

Dave

10. crazydrumma thread starter macrumors regular

I have premier, because I work at Starbucks, and we're partnered with AT&T, so does that mean I should be able to?

11. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

The 1 at&t store was trying to see me refurbished iPhones only and said I can buy 2 if i wanted too. I didn't like the sales guy at all and didn't want a refurbished phone.

12. crazydrumma thread starter macrumors regular

Seriously? What the heck? AT&T retail stores didn't sell refurbished iPhones as far as I knew, it was an online only thing. At least that's what the AT&T store here said. I wish everything wasn't so complicated. Last night, I tried to get on the AT&T premier site, and it worked for about 20 minutes, and then I clicked "Phones and plans" and got a 404 error. :(

13. crazydrumma thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, I just looked at the best buy site and found out they are selling refurbs for $50 off regular price, and apparently no household limit. That's still a great deal, they come with a one year best buy warranty.

BUT

before we go with that, has anyone experience issues with best buy's warranty's before? Anyone bought their iPhone from a best buy?