Buying music for your iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by reaborg, Apr 2, 2011.

?

Where do you buy your compressed music from?

1. iTunes

34 vote(s)
    59.6%
  2. Amazon

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  3. Others or I compress my own music from CDs

22 vote(s)
    38.6%
  1. reaborg macrumors member

For those who buy compressed albums/songs online for your iPhones, where do you currently purchase your music from? And why?

I have recently decided to stop buying CDs, as I never listen to the original lossless formats anyway, and CDs just take up too much room. And I have this nice shiny iPhone 4 (well kinda shiny after 9-10 months) which allows me to use either AAC or mp3. But I like sticking with one format. So I am considering buying either from iTunes or Amazon. Aside from seamless (or not so) integration and ease of use, what reasons have you guys (or gals) chosen to go with one over another?

By the way:
    iTunes rip their songs in 256kbps AAC
    Amazon in 256kbps VBR w/ Lame encoder

If Apple ever came out with a new format, based on their history, I know they will charge for an upgrade for every song ($0.30/song last time). However, I am also wondering how Amazon will handle this now with their cloud storage. The music that's bought from them and "stored" online, when they change their formats someday, do they get upgraded automatically at no charge? I am sure they don't have separate copies stored for each user (at least the music bought from them).

2. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Most of us don't. I don't, and all my friends don't, at least.

MP3 320kbps or M4A ALAC. I like MP3 best; ALAC makes the music sound softer.

3. AdrianK, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011

AdrianK macrumors 68020

I buy CDs. That way I can choose which codec to use. I have Max set to make mp3/320 and ALAC copies when I insert a disc.

You prefer lossy to lossless? o_O

4. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Ooh FLAC's also good, but iTunes doesn't support it...yet. Very, very sad, Apple.
    I'd love if iPhones could play MKV, AVI and FLAC.

5. Savor Suspended

Savor

Amazon for me.

Why? Those $2 promos! But most importantly, I have a Swagbucks account which I use to buy $5 Amazon giftcards.

All my music is in the mp3 format and at 128kbps ("good" quality) for me just to have the more commonly used format and to save space. Not much of an audiophile. I have 1,084 songs at 3.98 GB. So 10 GB of space should fit a minimum of 2,500+ songs. What I do is download the song from Amazon. Then I add it to iTunes which I convert it to mp3 at 128kbps.

If I purchased more from iTunes, I would always have to use Sharepod to take the song off my iPhone. Amazon music is unrestricted and cheaper. And their cloud service seems to offer plenty of value. Some albums cost 99 cents or less. Using Swagbucks or their free $2 promos practically makes their 20 GB service FREE for years and years if they don't change any of the cost in the future. And if you have multiple Amazon accounts, that could add up to 40 or 60 GB per year of FREE online storage.

6. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

My gigantic 17Gb plethora of genres cost $100. 2200 songs, too.
    Vinyl > CD > Digital Buy. Vinyl sounds good, very good. CD sounds not as good, but is smaller and better to store. Digital buy from Amazon or iTunes is horrible. No backup if your hard drive fails, whatever.

Plus, LP/CD Collections look better than a bunch of MP3 files.

7. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

I stopped buying CD's a year ago. I have 600 of those damn things and all they do is take up room. I mostly buy from iTunes.

8. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

No Amazon outside the US so I buy both cds and itunes depending on availability and price. I do tend to prefer itunes as it saves space-and to the person who mentioned hard drive crashes-buy an external drive and back up.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

10. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

I buy most of it directly from the iTunes app on my iPhone.

11. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I never thought I see the day I stop buying CD's and all I do is the ones I do buy is rip them and store them in the closet. I do buy used CD's and iTunes now. I try to buy from iTunes just to save storage, but if I go out and see a used CD store I check it out.

12. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Just FYI for your iPhone. Something you might try (regardless of which provider you choose), select the "Convert to 128 AAC" radio box in iTunes to store the lower versions on your iPhone. This will let you store a lot more songs on your phone. Don't worry - the lossless ones will still be in iTunes for you.

13. Cole JM macrumors regular

Demonoid - nuff said (for the people who know what it is)

14. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Mostly iTunes. Some Amazon. I'm not very picky about it, though.

15. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I had 100s of CDs ... put them all on my iPod

2000 songs is plenty for me

16. chestvrg macrumors 65816

I buy from both (Amazon && iTunes), obviously iTunes integrates better with the iPhone since it's able to auto buy directly from iPhone 4. Also I'm sure if Apple would allow a fully functional Amazon music store to run on their AppStore, many people would have both options.

Amazon has better prices and I love the fact that their music doesnt have any types of DRMs but so does iTunes.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I can't remember the last time I purchased a CD. It's iTunes all the way baby :D

18. PhoenixKit macrumors newbie

19. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

20. chestvrg macrumors 65816

I agree with you it may not be a valid statement in this sence, I forgot to add it is very practical and dependable since you can always search and buy almost any song out there with just a single click.

Example: I have "soundhound", I search the song and I have the option to buy it right in there even over my cellular data over iTunes see.

21. JASApplications macrumors 65816

iTunes! Probably slightly more expensive in the long-term but so much more convenient :)

22. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Totally disagree. Downloading all my songs would cost over $1500. No thanks. My way is more convenient. :)

23. chestvrg macrumors 65816

Wao $1,500 sure is a lot of money. But if u already have these songs there's really no reason why to update them in an iTunes or MP3 format, given the nature of this threat I assume u already have all of your $1,500 worth of song in MP3 format.