buying my 1st ever Mac today...any tips?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by btownguy, Jul 16, 2009.

1. btownguy macrumors 6502

Today I'm buying my first Mac ever - a 15" MacBook Pro, 2.8, 500 Gb HD, 4 Gb RAM. I'm going to take advantage of the education discount ($200), rebate on iPod Touch ($230), and rebate on iWork ($30). I don't plan on buying AppleCare because I tend to believe if something is going to break, most of the time it'll break in the first month of use.

So, are there any other tips on buying? I'm going to buy from my local Apple Store. I'm going to buy Office 2008 through work for $9.99. Any other essentials for me to get started? This will be my first ever Mac.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I would get Apple Care, but later via third party. But, there are plenty of threads when you get your computer home about what people consider to be "essential apps"

3. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Focus on the processor first. Once you settle on a processor, you cannot upgrade it later on.

Then focus on the RAM and HD.

Just remember, the rebate is not instant. You need to have the funds readily available, and then do a mail-in rebate. The rebates take a while from what I've heard (roughly 3-5 weeks)

4. Blair230 macrumors regular

I would DEFINITELY get the applecare. With ANY computer (not just apple) things dont always break within the first few months of use. You are spending thousand(s) of dollars on a great computer, the small amount for a warranty will give you peace of mind.

There are plenty of people who will talk about "must have" apps. Really it is all to each individual's taste.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

Not going to use the free printer ($100 rebate)?

FWIW, Apple rebates have been online for over a year now (at least in the US). Nothing to mail in.
    http://www.apple.com/promo

Printer rebates used to arrive within 3-5 days of being submitted, but since that was within the return window of the printer (14-days), some customers were cashing the rebate check and then returning the printer. So now Apple holds the rebate checks to not be as quick. They say "within a month", but people typically get them before that.

6. mrj412 macrumors regular

You have within the first year to purchase Applecare, so if you don't want it today, you can get it later.

7. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

You should get Applecare after your free 90 days of telephone support ends.

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I love these kinds of threads. I've seen people buy cars and homes with less due diligence.

Since you'll be at the Apple Store make sure you get some iKlear (either the little mini packets, the spray bottle or the entire kit which includes both. I'd get the entire kit for like 30 bucks). It'll help you keep your machine clean and has everything you need to clean EVERYTHING (screen, body, etc) It should also include a keyboard protector and a bunch of microfiber clothes. The single bottle of spray will last you for the life of the machine if you use it every so often.

9. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

You file the claim online, or print out the rebate coupon, but you still have to mail both of them, no?

10. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Mac's are great and I just got my first 6 months ago and have been extremely happy with it since. Just take it home and play around with it until you get the hang of how things work. You can watch the video tutorials about the basics of a mac and how they work for further instruction on apple.com

If you have any specific problems search around this forum first and see if your problem is answered on an existing thread. And if you can't find anything there, start a new thread. Everyone here is happy to help and you should have your problem solved very quickly.

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you bought from Apple, it's 100% online, nothing to mail in.

They verify your purchase by having you type in your receipt number (if you bought in the store), or web order number (if you bought online), plus the purchase amount.

12. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Bad, bad, bad logic there. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Especially with a laptop, where most components are integrated into the machine - if a video adapter goes bad, you can't just run to Best Buy and drop $100 on a new one, like you can a desktop. If the motherboard goes bad, you can't just run to Fry's and drop $100 on a new one, like you can a desktop.

About the only parts to these laptops that are readily user-serviceable are the HD and RAM, neither of which is particularly expensive - AppleCare helps protect you from the horror stores of an $800 logic board repair or screen replacement.

You can get AppleCare for $80 or so on eBay, and possibly even cheaper. Don't overlook how important an investment that can be.

13. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

Congrats in advance on your purchase!

Be very aware of your surroundings as you walk to your car and drive home. Thieves have been known to follow customers from the Apple store. I would try not to go alone, and would keep an eye on my rear-view mirror.

Sorry to sound so paranoid, but things can happen...

Be careful out there!

14. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Get applecare, your logic is wrong in your original post...it can save you big and it is great peace of mind.

15. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Dont get iWork if youre going to get Office, they do the same thing.

16. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

not so true. i think office is better b/c of word. unless you do presentations, get office with an educational discount. its worth it, trust me.

17. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

18. btownguy thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll do you one better. I can get Office 2008 for Mac for $9.99 through my work. Nice!

19. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Take the printer rebate and sell it for $100 off the cost of the mac.

20. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Really??? That's crazy!!! Where did you hear this???

21. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Yeah I have never heard this before either. That makes sense though because you are normally walking out with a machine that costs a 1000$ or more.

22. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

I'm scared.

23. suekitch macrumors regular

Are you getting a higher education discount? I know you said educational discount but I'm not sure how the pricing scales in the States etc.

Anyway if it is the higher education... i.e. university level... the 3 year warranty is free if you order online and if you buy in store, it's greatly reduced in cost if you buy it at the time of the machine. I paid £46 for mine in the UK as a university student. At that price I'd really get it!

24. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

25. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Pick up a carrying case for the MacBook pro! Also be prepared to show proof you're a student.