Buying my first fixie/SS - advice!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cleanup, Sep 23, 2009.

1. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Hey folks,

So soon I'll be picking up my first fixie. I'm looking at the Fuji Track and the SE Lager. I'm pretty set on one or the other but had a quick question:

I saw a KHS Flite 100 on Craigslist for rather cheap, but the problem is that the top tube has a rather disconcerting dent in it:

[​IMG]

And was wondering, does this really affect the reliability/durability/rideability of the bike?

And given the choice between an SE Lager or a KHS Flite (new), which is more bang for my buck? They're both about the same price. I don't believe the Flite comes with brakes, however.

Cheers! :)

P.S. I only tried a fixed Fuji and a SS Lager, but both bikes felt pretty amazing. I'm not used to riding a fixie at all, but I figure I'll be fine with a brake, or I may start off single-speed.

Thanks in advance!

2. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

i'm not buying any bike that doesn't have a brake!

i've been looking at SS bikes... but specialized (and it has brakes!) so can't help on which between those two... sorry....

3. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

If you plan on getting into bikes and upgrading parts, do not get the frame with a dent. No, the dent won't affect rideability, but I'm sure there is a negative effect on durability. So again, if you're looking to really get into the hobby, don't get the used bike because who knows what other troubles that bike has gone through. If you're just looking to ride around, if the price is good, get it.

Simply going by brand, I'd say that Fuji > KHS > SE

4. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

Well this is going to be my only bike for a while. I don't go on rides > 20 km or so, but I will be on it for at least an hour or two a day so it's gotta be reliable and no-fuss. I don't anticipate getting a new frame for a while and may pitch for a new wheelset later on.

The Track is looking more attractive as I've heard some poor things about the Lager.

I did notice that the front of my foot would clip the back of the front tire on the Track, however. It may have been because I was riding a rather small (52cm) frame though. I didn't notice this on the Lager. Any advice?

5. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

Get a new bike for peace of mind and better durability. It'll be worth it in the long run.

Assuming the two frames are the same size, it's probably because the two frames have different geometries or the seat positions are different. Yeah, this issue can happen if you have big feet, and there's isn't any good solution other than to watch your pedal position when you're turning. You can try a larger frame if possible.

My advice is to ask the bike shop to fit the Track to your body and try to eliminate the problem before buying.

6. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

The reason your toe clips the front tire is because of the geometry of the frame. The bike is suppose to be ridden on a track so the shape of the frame makes it more maneuverable. One solution you would have to learn is the "toe dip" when you start turning say right, you will need to dip your left toe so it doesn't clip the wheel.

I have the Fuji Track and have no issues with the front tire hitting my feet. One word of advice, make sure you get a front brake, it will come in very handy when you get tired or in case of an emergency. Don't get a rear brake because that is what your legs will be.

Here are some pictures of my bike. I know I have posted one of them several months ago here. The only thing that is not stock is the wheel set. Velocity Deep V's laced to Surly track hubs. Going from the stock wheel set to a custom set was like upgrading from a Geo Prism to a Rolls Royce.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Attached Files:

7. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

Thanks for the advice guys!

The Track I rode was a tiny 52cm, while the Lager I rode was a 56 cm. I think this might have a bit to do with it.

The LBS I tried both these at seems pretty nice; the guys are friendly to beginners and folks who don't particularly know what's best for them. I think I'm quite torn between the Track and the Lager now. I could get a Track with bullhorns and a front brake for about $100 less than the Lager. Now, I don't know much about components, but I do know that the wheelset on the Track is nothing special in particular. The Lager has Alexrims D500s. Is this alone worth the price difference? I know the Lager has a more relaxed geometry, which I imagine is good, but the frame quality itself; the Track seemed much lighter, but does this mean that it's also less durable?

It's really a toss-up now. I think both bikes are great, and I'd be happy with either. I'm just trying to get the most for my money; basically, is the Lager worth the extra $100 or so?

Cheers!

8. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

Track comes with a brake, and the frame is lighter (which does not mean it's any less durable). And it's $100 cheaper.

Win.

9. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

Actually, it doesn't come with a brake. And it has dropbars. It's actually a good $200 cheaper, but that's minus bullhorns and a front brake.

I'll give them another look. :) Just wondering if the R500s/road geometry/nicer looks on the Lager are worth the extra $100+tax.

10. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

11. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

12. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

13. PCtoMAC? macrumors member

I don't get the the idea of "fixies" about 2 years ago I bought a "fixie" off craigslist because I wanted a cheap easy to fix bike to ride to school and back after one day of riding it with that fixed gear that everyone seems to love so much I swaped it out for a freewheel. why wouldn't you want to be able to coast?

14. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

I think riding a fixie will help me become a better rider. :)

And there she is.

[​IMG]

Thanks for the advice, guys!

15. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

Sweet bike! Let us know how you like riding Fixed. Be especially careful for the first few days of riding, when I started riding fixed I almost got ejected off the bike a few times. You should get use to it within 2 weeks or so and you will never want to ride a bike with gears again.

16. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

yeah, on the way home, i had that urge to coast and nearly got bucked off the bike at 40 km/h. uncool! but i think i've gotten over the urge.

even as a singlespeed this bike flies, but i'll keep it fixed just to help me become a stronger rider. :)

i am going to replace the saddle though. the red checkerboard pattern isn't doing it for me. the top tube protector it came with was also checkerboard. *sigh* probably because SE usually does BMX stuff. i'll need to find some plain black stuff. :)

17. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

The bike looks pretty clean. Did you get it new or buy it used?

For some cheap thrills you should inflate your tires to around 120PSI (8.2bar for you metric people). One of my favorite things to do is get onto the bike path that is right on Lake Michigan and pass all of the people that are wearing the spandex outfits and riding their $2,000 carbon fibre bikes.

Let us know if you are going to do any upgrades.

18. kindablue09 macrumors regular

kindablue09

except when climbing :p

19. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

It was new. I just pumped the tires up to about 100 psi so it rides even smoother. I'm not sure if it's the geometry or what, but I can really feel my legs working on his thing. I'm getting better at slowing down without the front brake, but still not confident enough with starts (I'm not completely sure how to mount the bike so that I get onto the other pedal smoothly), toeclips or stalling (how people can just sort of stand on the fixed gear, moving it back and forth in a semi-stationary position at a light or something). Will take some practice and some more leg strength I think. :)

I think any upgrades I make will just be to update the look/make it even lighter. The wheelset (Alex R500s) isn't exactly the lightest, but I like how the rims match. Also looking forward to getting a carbon fork maybe? :) Just for kicks.

20. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

fixies are definitely for the hardcore! we rode a century with a guy on a fixie once... what a beast! lol! we'd lose him on the downhills (he can only pedal so fast) but he'd always catch up!

i go through periods of wanting a single speed... but i defintely want to be able to coast (and i want a brake!)

21. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

she's HOT! nice bike!

22. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

Thanks! I think the saddle, top tube cover (which is checkerboard) and red chainring are overdoing it a bit, though. Might murder those out.

Any name suggestions? :)

23. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

names... ugh... i'm never good at naming my bikes (or cars) i always just call them by their style name....

if your bike is a girl you could call her red hot mama!