Buying my first iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Blujelly, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

Hey all,

I will be purchasing my first iMac soon after many years I'm changing from PC's and Microsoft and headin over to iMacs.

I am looking in to buying the 2.7Ghz Intel Core i5 I would be using
    Mostly for music and gaming.

I was wondering would I need to increase the ram from 4 to 8GB or would this not be necessary? Also is there any others changes that you think I should make or a better time to buy one? I want to make sure it is the right choice before info ahead and purchase it.

Any advice would be really handy!

Cheers and thanks

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Most people expect a 2012 model of the imac by the end of October. Also I suggest purchasing RAM from a retailer and not directly from Apple. You can save up to 50% this way. Also where to you plan to purchase from?

3. Blujelly thread starter macrumors 65816

Blujelly

Most likely Fromm apple store although I may have a look round before i do… how come?

4. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

You can get it cheaper from an Authorized Seller - tax free in most states (if you dont claim it on your taxes - not saying right or wrong).

You wanting the 21.5 or 27 inch iMac?

5. Blujelly thread starter macrumors 65816

Blujelly

Well it depends on what would be cheaper of I could get it cheaper elsewhere, if I should increase the RAM from 4 to 8GB. Would you reccomended upgrading the RAM or keeping it at the 4GB?

And as for the screen size immstill debating but I think it will be 21" as much as I'd like 27" realistically I think 21" will be enough to a degree lol

6. Spink10, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2012

Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

iMac has 4 RAM slots - I recommend buying the minium and purchasing more - either 2 x 2GB or 2 x 4GB to give you 8 or 12 total RAM (original 4 + 4 or 8). Get RAM from Amazon / OWC / or similar retailer.

http://www.appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide/

I recommend purchasing from either Amazon / MacMall / B&H Video

Note: If you purchase from B&H Video you can purchase Apple Care for 50% discount - if you buy at the same time - this will save you $50 + (didnt do the exact math)

If you purchase from these Authorized Dealers - you get everything you would get from Apple including warranty.

If you cant wait for the 2012 iMac then go for it - obviously the 2012 will be better than the 2011 - most suspect it will only be a spec bump rather than a complete redesign.

7. Blujelly thread starter macrumors 65816

Blujelly

Excellent thanks for the advice! I'll see what I can get the price down to on some UK sites

8. allaboutmac macrumors newbie

Just bought my first Imac

I'm kinda kicking myself. I kept following different websites hoping for concrete information about updated IMAcs. I am still within the return period for my 21" Imac so I think its going back.

This is my first Mac. The 21" screen seems huge. I'm glad I choose it over the 27". I easily upgraded to ML. I'm not a techie type person and I managed it. The UI is not that difficult to get used to and the speed of the computer is great. I did notice the glare on the screen, though.

I'm using Mail right now. It's easy enough to set rules.

I haven't loaded any of my PC files onto the IMAC yet. Glad I waited. I didn't purchase any software yet either. (I need Office for Mac)

I really like this computer but I came from having a personal laptop PC and I miss the mobility, (I like to surf in bed) so I'm debating whether i should invest in a MBP. But cost is a factor.

Overall I like my new Imac. And if the upgrade is coming I will return it. I can't see paying the same price for a unit that has Sandy Bridge processors when they are updating to Ivy Bridge. (Geez, I hope I got that right)

If you can wait it out till mid September, I would. It seems like that is when Apple will launch their new products.

Good luck to you. I hope you like your new Mac. I have to say I don't regret switching platforms.

9. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

UK - dont have suggestions for you there :(

In US - Apple RAM 4GB to 8GB - $100
    In US - Amazon RAM 8GB (+your original 4GB RAM)- $35
    In US Amazon RAM 16GB (+your original 4GB RAM) - $60

Never buy RAM from Apple - unless its for the Air or Retina MBP

Maybe some UK forum members can help with possible Authorized Dealers with a lower price than Apple.

10. J3ayy macrumors member

Go for the 27" you wont regret it & you do get used to the extra size.

Enjoy :D