Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pd_forta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2016
I'm planning to buy an iPad and have decided to go with the 9.7" form factor, which I think will complement my iPhone SE perfectly (small phone on the go, and larger tablet for when I'm at home). However, I can't decide whether to buy the newer iPad Pro or the older iPad Air 2. I don't really plan to use the iPad to do any "pro" work (already have a MacBook), which makes the Air 2 a perfect choice, but I'm also worried that the Air 2 won't be future proof.

Can anyone advice on how well the Air 2 perform with iOS 10? Is the Pro significantly faster in day to day use like web browsing, emails, reading, media consumption etc, to justify the extra ~£200? Also, where in the UK can I get good deals with iPad this time of the year?

iono11200

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
I just upgraded from our original iPad Air's. We have had them for 3 years with zero problems. I felt it was a good time to upgrade. We picked up 2 iPad Pro's 9.7" 32gb WiFi only. Got them on sale for $499.99 each. I was willing to drop the extra $100.00 on each one ONLY because of the upgraded hardware and the fact that the Pro's are only a little over half a year old in the Apple cycle.

Reactions: pd_forta

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2010
iPad Pro will fit your wants and will be future proof for awhile. Try to find a decent used one on Craigslist or Swappa if him don't want to buy new.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
iPad Pro will fit your wants and will be future proof for awhile. Try to find a decent used one on Craigslist or Swappa if him don't want to buy new.

I would trust Swappa way more than Craigslist. Swappa provides six months buyer protection from Pay Pal. Craigslist is way to risky.

B.A.T

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2009
Idaho
The iPad Pro has been on sale frequently. If can afford to be patient I would imagine you would find a nice deal now that the holiday season is around the corner. Keep your eyes open and I'm sure you can find a deal soon.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
The iPad Air II would work exactly as you intend to use it (I own one).
However, there is word a new one is being released in Spring 2017. With that, if I was buying now, and couldn't wait, I'd buy the iPad Pro...

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
There is no such things about "pro" because there is NONE "pro" apps so you can buy ipad pro anyway if it is too expensive then go for Mini 4.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Can you please rewrite this in English?

No because English is not my ****ing primary language. America Sign Language is my primary because I am DEAF so if you don't understand my poor English you need to ignore it and move on. No one care about my poor English anyway

Reactions: B.A.T

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
I have the 12.9 Pro since the day it came out, not a second regret. Also bought the 9.7 Pro a couple of weeks ago to complement the 12.9. When I'm at my desk I use the 12.9 for (pencil) writing or typing and the 9.7 for reading/reference/watching college. When I'm away and not expecting to do any work, I have the 9.7 with me, just for reference, reading etc.

I could have easily chosen the Air 2 over the 9.7 Pro, I already have all the pro features in the 9.7, so why bother?
But I decided to buy the latest and the greatest because I expect to use it for years to come. The rumours of a 10.something bezel-less Pro doesn't rock my boat and I'm not tempted.

I used my Macbook Pro's for 3-4 years. I use my iPhones something between 1.5 and 2 years and then pass them on to my wife who uses them privately. I take really good care of my electronics and when I've used them for years they don't have a scratch, just might have very light and minor user marks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.