Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brucem91

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2009
Alright, thanks again for all the responses the only thing I still need answered is whether or not the high re screen will give me trouble with StarCraft 2. Can anyone answer this?

Shouldn't give you a problem. I've run StarCraft 2 on both computers in my SIG, and had zero problems. You may have to lower the rez a little bit, but you will be just fine with SC II on that mac. The graphics card in the new MBP is better than the two I have. Just make sure to be on the high performance graphics card(though I think the latest MBP switches automatically).

Mac7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
I say go for the base 15". And there won't be a new model out till next year.

brownpaw

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
I ran SC2 on my 13" MBP (latest refresh) and it ran without a problem. I mean I wouldn't crank it up all the way, but it is definitely playable with the integrated card.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
You should be able to run SC2 at full res, even on the hi-res model. Maybe not max settings, but at least decent. If you notice it doesn't work so well, just bump it down to 1440x900, that should do the trick. I don't think you will have problems though, as I can make my MacBook from '08 run sims 3 at 1680x1050 on my monitor, and that is the same res as the hi-res 15". My computer only has an integrated graphics chip that is about a quarter of the power of yours.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Alright, thanks again for all the responses the only thing I still need answered is whether or not the high re screen will give me trouble with StarCraft 2. Can anyone answer this?

No idea on SC2 but I ended up getting the standard res screen since I found the fonts were too tiny on the high res screen. Many people do not have an issue with the high res screen font size but many do. I advise anyone thinking about buying the high res screen to try out the high res and normal res screens at an Apple store (in all the apps you can) to see if the font size is an issue.

Shadow Zujed

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Alright thanks guys. I was going to order it online but No I think I will go to the apple store to check between the standard res screen and the high res screen I wouldn't want to order a computer that expensive and not like the font size. Especially since I will be writing a lot of papers.

So thanks again for all the help everyone I really appreciate it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.