Buying my first mac and need advice...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jas0n, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Jas0n macrumors newbie

Heya,

Well i'm thinking about buying my first mac (getting tired of Windows) but I don't know which one to buy.

I will mostly be using it for graphics work in adobe photoshop and some video editing, also just browsing the net and chatting to people. I may sometimes play games on there, but not very often.

I have two options, either an iMac or a Macbook Pro. Obviously the Macbook Pro would be good as it is portable aswell, but I don't really mind about that.

So, besides the prices, what are the Pros and Cons of both of the computers?

Thanks for any help,
    Jas0n.

By the way, I want this computer to be futureproof so if I got the iMac, should I upgrade it to 2 GB of RAM?

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

future proof is something that is unavoidable. both are great, but i think you would be better suited with a macbook pro. its going to give you the protability with a little more power. i would highly recommend waiting to see what apple comes out with in jan, but it sounds like you would be better off with the macbook pro.

3. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

You can upgrade the MacBook Pro to 4GB for just over £100 ;)

Edit: Since you're a noob, buy your RAM from a third party, not from Apple.
    I suggest someone like Crucial.

4. Jas0n thread starter macrumors newbie

I was going to wait until early January anyway, once Christmas is out of the way. Thanks for the advice.

Anymore replies would be appreciated :p

5. taficke macrumors member

i would get the macbook because honestly i think you will be disappointed and left with buyers remorse if you get the imac. although they are both great products the futere is mobile. and you can bring you macbook pro anywhere. also, definitely dont buy upgraded ram from apple they cost way to much!

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Get the macbook pro. I know you said that portability isn't really a big deal for you, but you'll notice how great it is once you get it. The mbp is so light (and fairly thin) that you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.

As for when to buy, hold off until after MacWorld is over (mid January). New mbps are expected, and that means a better CPU and other potential goodies.

RAM-don't buy through Apple. Apple charges a great deal for nothing. Buy 3rd party and install it yourself. It's a real breeze to do, and you'll save yourself a good amount of cash. :)

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask them!:)

7. Hello.there macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

The macbook pro sounds like a magnificent machine, next time I rob a bank I'm going to buy one :))). So, I'm not not qualified at all to talk about the macbooks, only the 24" iMac which I own. Just can't begin to describe how much I love it, it's a joy to use. The portability of the macbook really appeals to me....but I would miss that magnificent 24" screen so much. It's a tough decision....but my vote goes to the 24" iMac.

8. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Many people feel this way and you might want to try it. On the other hand, you know how and where you work. I spent four years with a laptop on my desk before I could replace it. For me, the iMac gives me more screen space and takes up less desk space. If you can, try dong the things you do on both machines and see what works best for you. Both are fine machines. Best wishes.

9. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

The iMac really only has screen size as a plus for it. Since both machines have the same processors, there really isn't a performance advantage. However, an external for home/office use can go a long way. ;)

And the mbp screen is really quite spacious. Plus, with Spaces, having a larger display area isn't as much of a necessity as it was before (though there are still advantages to it).

10. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

For a bit more than the MBP, you can get an iMac and a MacBook. It's a great combination, especially if there is more than one computer user in your household.

And yes, upgrading to at least 2GB is a good move. 4GB would be even better.

11. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

The iMac also has a lower price, a smaller desktop foot print and a larger, faster hard drive. I don't want to argue about this, though. I just suggested that the OP consider his needs. Many people I know have found that they do not need to drag a computer around. In that case, more screen real estate is a good thing. I still suggest that the OP try doing his actual work on both machines and deciding for himself. Best wishes.

12. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

Buy a refurb. MacBook or MacBook Pro. Then get a Bookendz dock, monitor, keyboard, mouse, and firewire hard drive to make it into a desktop when you're home.

13. crazydrumma macrumors regular

My advice is to do what I did...

get a macbook, trick it out, and buy an extra display. I found a nice Acer 22 inch widescreen display for about 200 bucks, which works really nice. I can run my macbook in clamshell as a desktop, and when I need the portability, I can just unplug my macbook and get going. It works like a charm :D

14. Jas0n thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the help, I guess i'll get a macbook pro in mid-january then ;D

Gives me a bit more time to save up some money so that i'm not poor after I get it :p

15. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

Better still, save up the money and buy a keyboard and mouse with it ;)