Buying my first MAC - Help me to choose :)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jimishjoban, Jul 20, 2008.

1. jimishjoban macrumors member

Hello all,

So, I have finally decided to buy my first Mac - An iMac. I dont know any apple users in my group and would certainly like to take advice from here before I take the plunge.

I am proud owner of iPhone and it has partially led me to switch to Mac and Leopard.

Where will I use:
    1) Mainly Internet access, watch videos and movies (online, DVD)
    2) Programming - Ruby on Rails and I am aware about wonderful IDE available.
    3) Very rare gaming (maybe 2-3 times a month)
    4) Possibly hosting a web server in future.
    5) And movie making and others as past time

What I have:
    Currently, I own a Dell Inspiron laptop (2 years old) which I dont plan to sell very soon (maybe by end of the year).

What I think:
    I dont have a desktop so iMac seems to be a good option (Pro seems to be a little too advanced for my use)

The question is the cofiguration for iMac, I am really not sure if I need 24" or 20". 24" seems very tempting as 20" may possibly be phased out by Apple. But reading about screen problems make be a little bit hesitant.

1) Based on my needs, what do you suggest? 20 inch or 24 inch
    2) What about processor (2.8 or 3.06)
    3) I plan to buy 2GB RAM and possibly upgrade to 4GB using third-party RAM after some point of time.
    4) Inbuilt graphics card will be ok for me since I am not heavy gamer.

Also, Being just out of University, I still can have educational discount. Should I buy an Ipod touch and then sell it away(I dont really need one). Are Apple rebates reliable?

Should free printer be ordered too?

Sorry, too many questions.. but I am rather too curious since I will be spending 2K first time on a Computer.

Thanks,

2. tri3limited macrumors 6502

Firstly get all the freebies you can!

In terms of the machine get what you can afford. If you want it to last a good 3 years the top model would be recommended, however looking at your requirements i would suggest the 2.8 24" model. I do alot of website design as part of a video production company and the 24" screen is far better in terms of look and visible screen area for these things. I do strongly suggest the AppleCare Protection plan as well as it's an all-in-one which means if one thing goes chances are the lot will! (and it'll serve you the 3 years)

Good luck with your purchase and any more questions just ask. Oh and by the way, you'll love it!

3. jimishjoban thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply.

Also, Should I buy Applecare right away? I dont need any technical phone support as such.

Or should I just upgrade after 1-year complimentary service? Will I get educational discount for AppleCare after a yeaR?

4. emac82 macrumors 6502

You would have to buy Applecare before the end of the 1st year. And yes, you would still qualify for educational pricing (providing you still meet the eligibility requirements at that time)