Buying my first mac........just what one

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ramzijw, Jul 13, 2012.

1. ramzijw macrumors member

Hi guys! I've been reading this site for a while and it's always interesting to see othe people's opinions as it makes you think about things in a different way as well! Today my laptop hard drive has died! To be fair it's not a bad laptop just it's 5 yrs old bits are falling off it lol! I'm currently travelling Australia, I use my laptop to surf the net, Uni work for when I go back to do my masters next year, light photo and video editing. Now most people will say the air but I'm abit worried it won't be able to work with software when I go back to Uni such as autocad. Plus I'm use to a 15" screen. Now the retina seems like a dream but I'm worried to be an early adopter! Do they make a late 2012 models to fix any hiccups? I have the money to spend but I want to spend money wisely not stupidly. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated

2. stiligFox macrumors 6502a

stiligFox

I doubt there will be a 15" rMBP refresh this year, as Apple doesn't usually update stuff to fix quirks.

That said, I know you need a laptop now, so going by what you've said, I'd personally go with the 15" rMBP, but there are a couple things to consider. I have heard that the rMBP is pushing its graphics card pretty hard, but I imagine some of that will be tweaked in Mountian Lion. The other thing is that you'll never be able to upgrade its RAM and other compnontents like a regular Pro, and you'll be missing the ODD. But if that doesn't bother you, I'd go for it!

But me personally, if I would wait till next years refresh, when they will likely make it stronger and faster...

3. ramzijw thread starter macrumors member

I've read these issues about how the graphics card is being pushed hard which I'm not shocked about and not being able to upgrade does worry me abit but at the same time how much software can really push this laptop to the limit in the next couple of years? As for optical drive I think I want it but in reality I never use it as everything I have is digital. I could always replace my hard drive and get a new os windows in it. The problem is there is too many options!!

4. stiligFox macrumors 6502a

stiligFox

Which is honestly what I would do if it were me... I'd spend $50, get a small drive for now, and next year get the updated rMBP. I got the first 2nd gen MBA (after the major refresh) and I wish I would've waited... The next ones out were so much faster!

I have to say, I do think for what you want to do, you'd probably be much happier with a Mac, and even the current rMBP should last you a good 5 years before new software starts slowing it down. And I think having the extra high res screen will make a decent difference for you when editing photos and video. I was playing with it at the Apple Store, and I was like, dang, I'm never getting a non-retina MacBook again!

I hope I've helped and not muddled it up for you!

5. ramzijw thread starter macrumors member

There's always waiting for something better, but this is the computer industry....something is always coming out that is better 6 months down the line...but when will they refresh the rMBP in 2013?

6. stiligFox macrumors 6502a

stiligFox

Most likely around WWDC. Ono the other hand, IIRC the MacBook Air was updated like 8 months after its first major refresh.

7. classics95 macrumors newbie

RE:"Buying my first mac.........just what one"

You should back up your computer because sounds like you have a lot of info on the laptop of yours that you don't want to loose. The program i recommend is My pc back up it backs up files, music, videos, and photos for free!!!
    heres the website

http://goo.gl/XEs9O

It provides you with 250gb of pure space whatever you wish to back up. And its free too, to sign up. And i highly recommend you to check it out, its a pretty awesome program!!! Heres the link again & have a good day! Cheers!!!

http://goo.gl/XEs9O

- Steven M.