Buying my FIRST MAC NEED HELP

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by BlackLight, Nov 24, 2008.

1. BlackLight macrumors regular

BlackLight

After so many years of using windows I've made the brave decision of switching to a mac (Alu MacBook 2.4Ghz) in a couple of weeks, after selling my baby Hp pavilion dv6575 of 1 yr. I've never had problem that i couldn't fixed with my windows based pc and vista HP SP1 was now awesome for me. But Apple stole my heart when they introduced their new mac lineup.

I've made it my duty to read, watch videos and join mac forums to learn as much as i can before purchasing this product and taking this lonesome path. The videos and pics are awesome, i go to the apple website for inspiration and familiarize myself with leopard.

BUT and i repeat BUT the forums are depressing..they make me say to myself what the hell am i thinking what the hell have i done selling my awesome reflection of myself HP Pavilion. Because all i read are faults, faults and faults, people have to replace their new macs 3, 4, 5 times before settling down with a non-faulty mac. IS there one thread out there which say something great about the new macbooks like those that got theirs and it was perfect ,no defects, no returns, and fully satisfied. Remember in doing this switch for the first time in my life i want to be sure about that switch and im asking any mac owners out there especially the new alu macbooks 2.4ghz plz post something uplifting for switchers like me

1) those who got theirs and never when back to a mac genius
    2) those who never needed a replacement
    3) those who are fully satisfied with theirs and why?

PLEASE USE THIS THREAT FOR POSITIVE THINGS ONLY

Thank you
    Worried soon to be PC to Mac user

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

forums are ALWAYS filled with complaints, remember that

3. belvdr macrumors 601

Yes, and also, there are many threads with happy owners too. You can't please everyone.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Why would people come to a help forum and say, "Oh, my Mac is running perfectly!"?

You only see faults because that's the only time that people care enough about those who know what they're doing (the smarter members of this forum) to converse with them.

People don't come here unless they've done something wrong/their computer is acting up. Thus, all you're going to see are faults.

5. DukeofAnkh macrumors regular

You've made the right choice. The fact that you're reading tech forums means that you'll have less trouble fixing any problems that do pop up. No computer is perfect, not even a mac.

That said, I <3 my year old Macbook Pro. I had one minor issue with it a month or so after I got it, but that was fixed over the phone (what was wrong was complicated, but thanks to time machine, it was much easier to restore than it would have been on my old Fujitsu).

Other than that, I've had no problems that weren't self inflicted (I like to tinker, mostly that doesn't cause problems, but once I broke Spotlight. Don't ask).

Basically, what I'm trying to say, it's no harder to fix problems with your Mac. In fact, it's usually easier than for windows. (And I say this as an experienced windows user as well as a year-long Mac owner.)

6. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

yes forum are all filled with complaints. it makes me think of the movie High Fidelity:

Louis: I don't have that record... I'll buy it for forty.
    Rob: Sold.
    Louis: Now why would you sell it to me and not to him?
    Barry: Because you're not a geek, Louis.
    Louis: You guys are snobs.
    Dick: No, we're not.
    Louis: Yeah, seriously, you're totally elitist. You feel like the unappreciated scholars, so you **** on people who know less than you.
    Rob, Barry, Dick: No!
    Louis: Which is everybody...
    Rob, Barry, Dick: Yeah...

we're the nit-pickers. I have a new macbook and love it. none of the issues that others are going through. battery case is tight, keys are straight, screen looks good. I also have a 2006 Mac Pro with no issues at all, and my first mac was a 1.66 Ghz Mac Mini core duo with no issues at all.

7. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Ive always said that when people have a problem they tend to be loud about it! Like someone else said above, this is a help type forum so you really wont see tons of people saying how happy they are with there MacBook. AND PLEASE dont take that as no one is happy with the MacBook. I for one am 110% happy! No defects, no flaws, perfect Mac on my first pick.

8. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Haha.. same thing here. I just LOVE the new looks. I switched over to the Mac after 10 years of hardcore Windows usage, and let me just tell you... I don't miss it a bit!! I know I have the option to install Windows as well, but so far I haven't seen the need to.
    OSX is SOOO easy to work with.
    You're gonna love your new Aluminum Macbook!!

9. danvan21 macrumors regular

I had a refurbed blackbook that broke 4 times but thy replaced it with a aluminum 2.4ghz and its great. I have no defects, problems, or issues. I love this computer and i honestly think its the greatest computer ever. I will never buy anything but a mac. If you have to go through 5 macbooks to the the perfect one, oh well, at least apple is willing to let you go through 5 macbooks.

10. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

I bet if you go on the HP forums, you'll be suprised how many people are moaning and complaining - yet your HP machine is working fine right. As the posters above pointed out - forums are generally filled with complaints.

11. lildudejds macrumors newbie

My macbook 2.4ghz ALU works perfect. No battery cover issues or anything. The screen gets on my nerves when watching movies....it's black levels really are pretty bad, but it's not THAT big of a deal. I do with apple could invest in better screens though.

12. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

Out of the following list of Macs that I have/had, I did not experience any major issue.

1.25 GHz PPC mini
    12" 1.5 GHz G4 Powerbook
    17" 1.6 GHz G5 iMac
    2.2 GHz SR White MB
    1.83 GHz Intel mini
    2.16 GHz Black MB
    1.6 GHz MB Air
    2.0 GHz Al-MB

The MBA was the only computer that ever needed servicing (cpu fan died).

13. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Rather than reiterating what everyone else has already said (RE: forums = endless complaints), here is some practical advice.

1) Buy the Mac from an Apple retail store (or authorized reseller)
    2) Open it up in-store and thoroughly inspect it for any visible defects
    3) Start it up in-store and take it for a quick spin (check for dead pixels, etc.)

I strongly suggest that you AVOID buying your Mac through the online store. Apple retail stores and the Apple online store maintain different inventory counts. This means...
    - You cannot return/exchange a defective machine in-store.
    - In some cases, the Apple retail store will not repair your machine but instruct you to order a replacement.
    - Any return/exchange requires that you mail the computer back and then wait for a replacement from China.
    - You cannot verify that the replacement machine is free of defects.
    - Customer service is considerably better in-store.

Since you're probably wondering, YES, I had a very bad experience with the Apple online store. I returned a defective MBP and opted for a MB in-store (for various reasons). Putting my experience aside, almost everyone I've spoken to has had a great experience with an Apple retail store, and a horrible experience with the Apple online store. I don't know why, but apparently there is a night/day difference when it comes to customer service.

That said, I'm really enjoying the MB. The learning curve for OS X is minimal and it's superior to XP/Vista in almost all relevant respects. The build quality is outstanding and you can really feel the attention to detail.

Enjoy your new Mac. I promise that you won't regret it.

14. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

You have WAY too much money.

15. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

Most of these are/were for work, and not paid for out of my own pocket.

16. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

My wife's Macbook was bought online from Apple and she had problems with the hard drive. She took it into an Apple Store and they replaced it. I also had a friend who had a problem who bought it online from Apple and they replaced it (gave him a new one) at the Apple Store when he was out of town. Unless they changed their policy less than 6 months ago, they do repair and replacements of Macbooks bought online. Can you provide a link showing this isn't the case?

I had problems with my iPod touch and Apple online couldn't of been better. They sent me a new one out immediately with a pre-paid shipping box for my old one.

17. penfool macrumors newbie

Bought my first mac (2.4 alu macbook) after considering it for ages and checking all alternatives and forums etc. Got it online from apple store delivered to my work.

I've had absolutly no probs with it whatsoever - it beautiful and it works - its smooth and fast. One of the best decisions I've made.

I say go for it.

18. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Well consider yourself lucky!

I called Apple support who instructed me to visit the Apple retail store for repair. I called the Apple retail store and they refused to repair the computer because there was "more than one defect". I was also told by both Apple support and the Apple retail store that under no circumstances would there be a direct exchange/replacement given the different inventory counts. Moreover, Apple would not send a replacement OR replacement parts until they received the defective machine or defective parts. Essentially, it would take about a week to ship back to China, then at least one more week for the replacement.

Now, I'm sure Apple isn't this bad 100% of the time, which is why I wrote "in some cases". I've heard a ton of horror stories associated with the online store as well. For instance, my girlfriend's iPod was defective (can't remember the issue) but covered under warranty. Apple support said that she would have to mail it in for repair, which would cost approx. $40. She offered to drive the iPod to the repair center herself, but Apple refused.

Anyone who has bought either a Macbook or an iPod from the Apple retail store has never experienced anything like this (from what I've heard). In my opinion, the online store is just not worth the risk given that Apple will upgrade in-store for the same price. In-store representatives are also more lenient with company policy (RE: edu discount and whatnot). If you spend enough, they'll even offer you a discount or two.

So, given those facts, I really don't see any incentive to buy online. You can get everything (and more) in-store with greater peace of mind.

19. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Any available positions? :D

20. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

We had 2 entirely different experiences then. I found the online people a lot more lenient considering people I have talked to who have dealt with them and my personal experience with my iPod touch.

After responding to your post before, I did a search on Apple.com and found nothing saying they wouldn't repair in-store if bought online. I don't think it was luck considering it happened at 2 different Apple Stores in 2 different state's.

21. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

No, luck is clearly involved here. Perhaps I was the unlucky one?

All I know is that the 'head' Apple Genius (forget the proper title) specifically told me that the Apple retail store would not repair the defective machine. Perhaps the difference has something to do with the Canadian retail store versus the American one? From my perspective, Apple's policy is entirely useless at this point - what's done is done.

Either way, I think my argument still obtains. Buying in-store has distinct advantages over the online store. For one, you can actually inspect what you are purchasing. That should be reason enough.

So, given that, I'm not really sure what point you're trying to prove...