Buying my first mac PRO

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by iRukiri, Feb 10, 2010.

1. iRukiri macrumors newbie

Since my iMac died due to a power surge I was able to get a complete refund. And I just plan on getting a quad core Mac PRO. Basically the iMac but able to go further..

Can anyone suggest specs?
    I have $2200, I'm looking at ebay here folks.

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

The iMac right now is a better deal. Get a quad core and a good surge protector. You won't get a higher spec'd MacPro for $2200.

3. rtrt, Feb 10, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  4. Cathode macrumors regular

Cathode

Like what was already mentioned: Apple has some great deals in the refurb store (2008 model). If anything, I would recommend Craigslist more than eBay for buying anything more than $500.

5. iRukiri thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually a quad core Mac Pro can go for anywhere from $1200-2500.

I'm basically gonna upgrade it anyway, basically to the ATI 5X series(gotta find one first) and 1TB extra HDD.

While the 30' Cinema display will obviously set me back I can wait on that for awhile until I get used to Final Cut Pro.

6. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I found one for less than 2200 on Apple.com.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB871LL/A?mco=MTEzMzA3MDk

You would need to upgrade the RAM, but it is within your budget. And being a Quad you can upgrade the processor later on if it is to slow for you.

I would highly recommend getting a refurb from Apple and not EBay. WIth Apple you get the warranty and the chance to add AppleCare later.

7. dsiew81 macrumors member

How will you get that ATI card to work in OSX?

8. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I assume he is referring to "flashing" it but I have no idea how this works. There are others here who are much more knowledgeable about such things.

9. iRukiri thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies, I'm going with Mac PRO.
    Didn't know you could upgrade the processor.. Never upgraded a mac(ever)

10. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

The 09 Quad can be easily upgraded to 3.33Ghz it has been done by several others here.

And if you are rich you can shove 32GB of RAM into the Quad now. So you have a ton of upgrade options later on down the road.

11. dsiew81 macrumors member

No doubt, it's just not as easy as one thinks. Somebody needs to create a ROM that is Mac OS X compatible. Considering the flashing scene is currently up to GTX285/4870/4890 cards, there's still a fair leap before we move to the next generation of cards.

Once the new MPs come out, there should be new and updated Mac-compatible cards to work with/from, but for now, the 5XXX series cards would be a challenge to get working in OS X, to say the least.

12. iRukiri thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm a college student, I think that says "I have little money". I'm choosing the mac pro cause it'll last longer than the iMac 27' due to upgrades.

The monitor I'm getting for it, point out a better one(and not the 1700 30' display)
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/609628-REG/Acer_ET_HB3HP_001_B273HU_bmidhz_27_Widescreen.html