Buying my first Mac, Random questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Antimatter, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Antimatter macrumors regular

I plan to go to an Apple Store on Thursday and buy a Black MacBook. First of all, you can get the student discount in store too, right? If so, all I do is bring in a letter of acceptance to a college or some other form of identification, right? I have a high school lunch card with my picture on it, will that work? If not I'll just try to find an acceptance letter.

Is it guaranteed that they will have a Black MacBook in stock? Or should I call ahead of time just to make sure?

Second, I want to upgrade from 1 GB of RAM to 4. This will work perfectly, correct? https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/53IM2DDR4GBK/

Also, I read that you should wear an ESD wriststrap. Is that absolutely necessary? I can't seem to find one on that site that I would order the RAM from, and I don't really want to order a $5 wriststrap from another place.

Thanks a lot!

2. McGiord, Jan 15, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

No clue about the student discount, sadly I have never taken adavantage of it.
    About the memmory you are doing the right thing to buy it from OWC.
    Follow the instructions from them to install your new RAM.
    They key is to avoid any ESD during the procedure, if you can't find some, you can use any wire to connect yourself to the MacBook metal chassis before touching the RAM, or just touch the metal chassis with your fingers, and while removing installing the RAM do it carefully, while avoiding to create any static energy (don't walk over carpet, etc.)
    ________
    Biscayne

3. Stokes macrumors regular

On the student discount.....

I am not a student, but am a home schooler. Mac does recognize the contributions of home schoolers in todays society, and extends their discount to us as well.

When I called down to the store (Portland, OR), I asked what kind of proof they'd need from me to get the discount. After a brief hold, the representative asked me if I had anything from the local school district acknowledging that we we home schooled. Of course, I told them that the whole point of home schooling was to distance ourselves from the school district, and we have an adversarial relationship at best. Back on hold again for a few minutes....

After a bit of gnashing of teeth, they said they didn't know what I should use to prove it, but if I just told them I was home schooling, they'd give me the discount. Later that week, I went to the Express Lane, ordered my MacBook and told the clerk I wanted the Education discount as a Home Schooler. She nodded her head, flipped her head back, said 'Kewl', and knocked $100 off my machine.

YMMV, but I did well on my trip.

4. CoopFLY macrumors newbie

CoopFLY

On the student discount you can go to the apple store or buy it online. when i bought my mac i showed them my student ID with my student number and since I'm in college i showed them a current schedule of my classes to show i was currently enrolled. They excepted that. I think as long as you have a student ID and some kind of paper work that your in school they will let you get your discount.

Co0p:apple:

5. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I had my W.V.U. college ID in my wallet and that's all they asked for. In and out inside of 5 minutes. It really was that easy. I'd say they'd take your lunch ID, but I'm sure every store is different.

6. Antimatter thread starter macrumors regular

I think I'll bring in my High School Schedule, and an acceptance letter from the College I'm going to. That should do it.

Man I can't wait, I'm sick of my Windows PC at home.

7. lil666jrkatz macrumors member

8. BrokenE macrumors regular

shouldn't you buy on-line to avoid the sales tax? that in its self might pay for the memory upgrade.

9. Antimatter thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I thought the same thing, but when I tried to buy it online it had $100 of tax on there. Its because there is an apple store in my state.

Thanks jrkatz I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

10. Action Bastard macrumors newbie

Action Bastard

11. Antimatter thread starter macrumors regular

I just purchased 4 gigs of RAM and I don't even have my MacBook yet. Probably not the smartest thing to do but oh well. I should be getting my Blackbook tonight!