Buying my first mac today

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cburch15, Sep 25, 2010.

1. cburch15 macrumors newbie

going over to the apple store today to buy my first mac, was looking at pro is there anything i need to know or look out for? i know it comes with some extra stuff then the white mac does? but are there more issue with the pro? or do the white macbook still crack?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I assume you mean MacBook and MacBook Pro, since this thread is in the MacBook Pro sub-forum?

What are your needs? What models (13", 15" or 17") did you take a look at?
    The 13" MBP has a Firewire port and an SD card slot and a backlit keyboard and is made of aluminium and ... .

I don't know about the cracking issue, but since the enclosure of the Unibody MacBook is one piece, it should be gone.

Also have a look at the following links to learn more about Mac OS X:

3. cburch15 thread starter macrumors newbie

was looking at the 13in pro, and 13in white, leaning towards the pro, ill be using it for school, web, and dl music to my iphone noting to crazy wont be editing movies and such

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The 13" MB will suffice your needs more than you want, Now it is for you to decide, if you want to spend the extra 200 USD for the difference and look.

5. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

Awesome! I'm excited for you. I loved my macbook (Black) when I first got it. I had no issues with it at all. Save some money and get the white macbook and buy some really good software to go with it.

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Either will be fine for you. Up to you for which one you like better, and if it's the pro, do you like it $200 better?

Also, excellent idea below, get that if you are anywhere near a microcenter.

7. ihonda macrumors 68000

microcenter has the macbook pro on sale for $999, scoop it up!

8. cburch15 thread starter macrumors newbie

so you think the white one will be enough? im just worried about it cracking and getting really dirty fast, they easy to clean?

9. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I don't think the new ones do that like the pre-unibody ones did. I think you can clean them fairly easily too

10. cburch15 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah idk thats why i posted on here too see, cause im sure the salesmen will push towards the pro because it cost more.. anyone know for sure that the white ones dont crack anymore?

11. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

We have both MB and MBP 13" laptops and the MBP is a much better deal. Only a few more $'s gets you a lot more computer. JMO ~~~~~~~~~ from someone who owns both.

The ONLY reason to buy the white MB is if you work in a really cold environment. The plastic MB is a bit more comfy when it's chilly.

cheers
    JohnG

12. cburch15 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the info. just wanna make sure i know what im getting into. its alot of money and my first mac! ill prb end up with the pro

13. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

^^^^ This is the way to go!

14. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Whichever way you go, welcome aboard!
    The extra is worth it just for the Alu unibody imo I Love it!

15. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

The 13" Pro has a FW800 slot and an SD slot, it has a backlit keyboard, wider color range on monitor and is made of durable aluminum, the 13" MacBook is plastic and still has a tendency to stain (colored comforters=bad), but it is a) cheaper and b) non-glossy screen

16. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

What do you mean non-glossy screen? It is still a glossy LCD panel, but is missing the glass overlay that the MacBook has. Both are glossy.

17. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

well compared to the mbp the white mb almost looks matte. the glass plate makes the pro *so* reflective ... for that alone i would go with the white MB. however the white mb still doesn't look as good or as easy on the eyes as my HR AG screen.

18. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

19. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

it isn't that reflective because it doesn't have glass.

I can actually use the MB out in bright sun light so it isn't that glossy (plus I can turn the backlit off and I can still see everything clearly)

20. cburch15 thread starter macrumors newbie

ended up with a brand new white macbook!!!! couldnt be happier, now i gotta figured out how to use the thing lol, are there any widgets i should dl first and or things i need to do?

21. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Congratulations on your purchase and have fun and good food times with it. But remember, those pesky little crumbs can harm your experience, especially when using it naked (what or who doesn't matter).

Links to Software Recommendation Threads

Also have a look at the following links to learn more about Mac OS X:

22. moel macrumors 6502

...also some new owner paranoia avoidance tips

1) Your macbook is NOT overheating, just because it runs hot
    2) There is no need to do wanky maintenance like you had to on a PC.

23. cburch15 thread starter macrumors newbie

lol thanks already had those thoughts a couple times already and ive only had it for 2 days lol

24. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

hey get istat pro to watch your temps and performance, and just love your mac =D