Buying my first Mac, well 1st in 19 years

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ericbarbaglia, Jan 10, 2010.

1. ericbarbaglia macrumors newbie

So here's the deal...I will be buying my first mac (MBP) soon (after Jan.26th). This isn't really my first mac but its my first mac in almost 20 years. Back when I was 12 or 13 my parents bought me my own Macintosh LC. I used it for several years and added a 1200bps modem. I can remember purposely breaking my modem when a newer faster one came out to justify to my mom that I needed a new modem (a faster one) haha. I actually setup and ran my own Hermes BBS off of that LC for several years using my parents home phone line which they weren't really happy with (phone ringing at odd hours, always busy LOL, but they encouraged and supported me and my tech cravings. After the first time a user dialed into my BBS and I chatted with him (a 50 year old guy, and I was a 12 year old kid) I was hooked with computers. Forward 20 years I now have my bachelors in computer science, worked at a dot com for a whole, ran a few successful online business, and now I'm running the IT department for a medium sized business here in Florida. In those 20 years I've been forced and have adapted to being a windows user. Mostly because my parents bought me a PC when I graduated high school and my university was heavily using windows and some unix. Over the years I've gravitated towards Linux after using Unix variants at work and in school.

I never really thought of getting a Mac again. But when I got the first generation iPhone and awed at the UI and hardware design, I got hooked on Apple. I started going (still am) to my Apple Store and Best Buy to play with the new Mac's and now, even though I don't own a mac yet, I can't stand using my PC's.

So...I keep reading that Apple will be making a big announcement on or around Jan 26th...What are the chances that a new MBP would be announced? I'm going to wait but there is a great deal on a refurb MBP 15" with 256gb SSD, 3ghz and I'm itching to buy it. From what I've read, the refurb's from Apple are really nice! Any horror stories?

Thanks in advance!

Eric

2. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

Refurb macs are great, do a quick search, they're like new, better than new, some will say, and still come with apples standard 1 year warranty, and have the option of adding 2 additional years with apple care, just like any other new mac. Thats how much faith apple puts in their refurbs!

3. Surely Guest

Surely

The refurbs are top quality. It's a smart purchase decision.

There is a good chance that there will be an announcement that will involve the MBPs. But even if they are announced, it doesn't mean that they will be available for sale right away.

The current machines are fantastic. I bought mine during Amazon's Thanksgiving sale, and couldn't be happier. If new MBPs are announced, it won't make mine any worse.:p

If you need more power, then wait. If you don't need it now, wait.

If you think the current configuration will be good enough for what you will need it for, then buy the refurb now. You'll be happy with it.

However, keep in mind that if new MBPs are announced, there may be sales on the current configurations at that time, because people always tend to want to buy the newest thing.