Buying My First Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PapaHLZ, Nov 18, 2010.

1. PapaHLZ macrumors newbie

I know this question has been asked many times before but, Which MBP should I buy? I was thinking about buying the baseline 15" or Mid line 15"Model.

I know from what I've seen when that post there questions up is that they don't put down the software they will be using.

So here is the list:

Final Cut Express or Pro
    Photoshop
    After Effects
    Garage Band
    etc.
    ...and school.

I have been really looking forward to switching over to Mac since my last year of high school in my TVP class like a year and a half ago. Its been a long wait but, just need to wait a little long for the upgrade or refresh. Just wanted to get some more feedback from you guys cause I never bought an Apple product before but I have used them and I am thinking that phrase "Once You Go Mac, You Never Go Back" is freaking true. Is the base 15" a good choose or should I good a little higher.

Sorry again for the question and the longish post for a simple question. And I hope I didn't miss anything cause it's like 5 AM and I need sleep. Thank you for reading. :)

- PapaHLZ

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Depending on your budget the mid-level model would probably work well for you.

3. orangepeel macrumors member

The 2.53ghz is not much faster than the baseline 2.4ghz, imo it's not really worth the extra $200. Since you are going to use it for final cut/photoshop, getting the hi-res screen for an extra $100 might be a good option for you.

4. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

This.
    The mid range MBP never seemed like good value to me, the speed increase is negligible and the only other difference is a slightly bigger hard drive.
    I agree that the hi-res option might be worth it for you though.
    I`m running a standard 2.4 i5 and it handles everything I throw at it just fine.
    Oh, I`m in the "won`t go back" camp too, wish I`d done it years ago!

5. PapaHLZ thread starter macrumors newbie

@miles01110

My Budget will be around 2000 someting depending how much my next semester will cost.

@orangepeel
    and
    @Fubar1977

I think the baseline will be great for me. And I wish I could get the hi-res screen but there are no apple stores anywhere for like 200 miles from where I live so I have to buy it at Best Buy. Plus I don't want to buy off the Apple Store Online because of the apple credit mumbo jumbo.

Thank you guys for posting and helping out a future mac owner.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Base is more than fine. You are paying for almost nothing in the mid-level 15". Save the extra bucks for 8GB of RAM, that's something you will definitely want (but from aftermarket)

7. PapaHLZ thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah your right. I was thinking about the RAM too but, I don't think I will need it for a long while or i could save up more for After Effects CS5 for MAC. Only like $350 with student discount but, I think I will get both later on. And just order Final Cut Express.

Thank you for the advice. :)

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

2x4GB costs only 128$

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer Technology/8566DDR3S8GP/

If you're running all those apps at once, I strongly recommend you to get more RAM since Adobe apps really love the RAM