Buying my first mac.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PancakeJAW, Jan 4, 2012.

1. PancakeJAW macrumors newbie

I'm not quite sure where to put this, or if this is just inappropriate too ask, but why would it..?

Anyhoo. I'm buying my first mac in a week or how long it takes to dump my old PC-rig. But I have some sort of questions, that needs answers, could've googled it. But didn't really find any satisfying answers to it. Might be searching for the wrong stuff, seeing as I'm a rookie towards mac.

I'm getting the MBP 17" with 2.2GHz quad.

Is it worth getting the better screen, Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display or is just a waste of money? I doubt it, but I want to doublecheck it.
    I'm leaning towards putting a SSD, I have one in my PC that should work. The thing is, the SSD is only 80gb, which isn't big enough for me. I've heard about people having two harddrives in the macbook pro. But I'm not sure how to do this. Is there a good guide for me too read or?

Probably going to be buying 8gb worth of ram to it aswell, seeing as it's really cheap now.

Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

For the "having two drives in your Mac", look at #4 in the following guide:

This is also of interest:

And you can replace RAM yourself for less than Apple charges (Apple wants 200 USD for 8 GB RAM, while you can get 8 GB RAM from Newegg and other vendors for 40 USD):

And to learn more about Mac OS X:

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find answers to your questions:
    [​IMG]

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

mhh, that's an old model. The current 17'' has 2.4 or 2.5 Ghz.

Some people prefer antiglare, some prefer the normal screen. You should find an apple store and check which one you prefer. It's worth $50 in any case.

Yes, the whole forum here is full of people talking about how to get two hard drives in the MBP.

4. azure247 macrumors 6502

I have the glossy screen and I never once experienced aggravation because of glare. I use it in lectures, in library, in my room but never outside. If you use it outside or near windows all the time, then get the antiglare screen. However, the glossy screen is more aesthetically pleasing and has better colors.