Buying my first Mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lKeithStone, Jul 10, 2013.

1. lKeithStone macrumors member

I've been looking at buying a Mac for the last couple weeks and have been going back and forth on what I should get. :confused:

I've been really drawn towards the new Macbook Air's with the recent processor/graphic updates. My only problem is they don't have the retina screen option. I'm also worried they might not have enough power for whatever I decide using it for in the future.

I'm a Web Developer/Graphic Designer - I will be using the Adobe Creative Suite and possibly parallels, along with other basic surfing.

With my work discount I can get a 13" Macbook Air for $1,456.00, with this setup:
    1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
    8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
    256GB Flash Storage
    HD 5000

Or should I go with a refurbished 2012 model for $1600 with these specs:
    Originally released June 2012
    15.4-inch Retina display
    2.3GHz Quad-core Intel i7
    8GB of 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
    256GB Flash Storage
    720p FaceTime HD Camera
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory

I know the new Macbook Pro's are supposed to be coming out this fall and I'm thinking about waiting, but the max I'm willing to spend is $1600 - so I'm not sure what I will be able to get into for that price range.

What would you do in my situation?

Thanks!

2. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

This is easy, it just depends on what you want.

Air:
    Battery Life
    Newer Tech
    Mobility

Retina:
    Power
    Retina display

What is more important to you? Done.

3. lKeithStone thread starter macrumors member

Well that is easy to answer, all of it is important.

I guess maybe I should have asked -

What would give me the most bang for my buck while also providing me enough power to do Web Dev/Graphic work?

Is there a major difference when working with graphics between the retina and non-retina?

4. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

The retina display will give you more screen real-estate which may be nice for Web Dev/Graphic work.

5. jonnymo5 macrumors 6502

Get the Pro, You get a much better CPU, graphics chip, and screen.

I have that model MBP with 16GB Ram and it is quite a powerful laptop. The Air is a very capable machine as well but if you are working with ACS you are getting outside of the Air's sweet spot. If you get the MBP I think you will be happy with it for years.

6. macNwindow macrumors member

get the 15" rmbp mid 2012 .... its at a great price vs what i paid for (~2400 w/ AC & tax).

more power & larger screen....

7. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Go for Haswell based 13" MBA. you will love long battery life when you are doing a lot of web developing at cafe or coffee shop. :apple:

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

If you work with multiple complex filters and a lot of layers, the dual core in the Air will hold you back while rendering, whereas the quad-core in the rMBP will just scream past it.

Screen resolution is nice on the rMBP, it allows you go get more real estate, but if you do any color-critical work, you're going to want to work on a properly calibrated external screen anyway, so that doesn't matter as much in my opinion.