Buying my first Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mark., Dec 15, 2014.

  1. Mark., Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014

    Mark. macrumors member

    Jan 26, 2011
    London, UK
    I've been an iPhone user for years, and recently I've also acquired an iPad Mini 1.

    Now I've decided to ditch my ageing Windows laptop in favour of a MacBook.

    It's purpose will be for general day-to-day use; browsing, storing media, general life organisation, etc.

    I've decided that a MacBook Air is probably sufficient for what I want it to do (Pro seems overkill) but the question is, do I invest in a MacBook Air 13" now, or do I wait for the fabled MacBook Air Retina?

    Now I've made the decision I want to buy sooner rather than later, but I know I'll kick myself if a better model comes out in the next 6 months.

    Any guidance would be appreciated.
  2. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

    Old Muley

    Jan 6, 2009
    Titletown USA
    You can drive yourself crazy playing the "I'll-wait-for-the-update" game. If you truly need a new computer now, then by all means go ahead and buy one. Historically, the Air tends to get updated around June/July so you would have to decide if going without a laptop for six to seven months is worth the possibility of an up date.
  3. Spink10 Suspended


    Nov 3, 2011
    There most likely will be a better model within 6 months - none of us know how much better. Just purchase it - save a few bones and buy refurb or like new used.
  4. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030


    May 20, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Given that it's sort of ambiguous as to when a new model is coming (as trends have been known to vary with the MacBook Air product line), I'd just buy an Apple Certified Refurbished model.
  5. Mark. thread starter macrumors member

    Jan 26, 2011
    London, UK
    Thanks for your input guys.

    My current Windows laptop still works for the time being so I'm going to sit tight and wait for the 12" Retina Air whenever it comes out.

    I've just bought myself an Apple TV which should keep me occupied for the time being.
  6. Velin macrumors 65816


    Jul 23, 2008
    Hearst Castle
    If a retina air is not released next year, then get the retina macbook pro. You'll never go back to the lesser panels.
  7. Scepticalscribe Contributor


    Jul 29, 2008
    The Far Horizon
    If you need a computer, buy it now. You will get great use out of it, and will enjoy it. If you merely want a computer, I suggest that you wait until whatever you think you want is offered.

    However, if you are worrying about inbuilt obsolescence (or a MBA bought now being out-of-date by next year), and you still want a MBA now, (but not necessarily the very latest in terms of technology) I suggest that you buy an Apple refurbished model now, and sell it on around six months after the new 'retina' models eventually put in a belated appearance in Apple stores. Which could be anytime next year.

    This is because it may take a few months to iron out glitches which inevitably appear in first generation models of a brand new line of computers. Irrespective of glowing reviews, and ecstatic users, I always like to wait a few months after something has been unveiled, just to give the manufacturers time to deal with little glitches, stuff that has not been picked up, or identified, or dealt with, prior to release. Six months will usually suffice…...

Share This Page