Buying my first Mac!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by doctorzvi, Jun 25, 2008.

1. doctorzvi macrumors newbie

Hi everybody. I am completely new to Mac. I am thinking about making the big switch from PC and was wondering what the thinking is about iMac vs. Macbook. How do they currently stack up against each other? Portability is a small factor for me, but by buying a MB, are you sacrificing a better machine for portability? Also, what is the thinking out there about Parallels vs. Fusion vs. Boot Camp? Finally, any thoughts on iWork vs. Office for Mac? Thanks in advance!

2. canucks-17 macrumors regular

canucks-17

If portability is not a factor, you definetly want the iMac. The video card is obviously waay better as it is dedicated. For the same price you get .4Ghz, 1GB RAM is the same but it only has one DIMM so you can add RAM easily as the Macbooks come with 2 512MB DIMMS. You also get the really nice 20'' screen and you're not losing anything with the keyboard. Just my .02.

3. The Killer Fuzz macrumors member

The Killer Fuzz

Well, the iMac is definitely the better machine, but if you want a laptop, then the MacBook is still a great computer. One big factor, though, is games; if you're going to do any gaming the MacBook doesn't come close to the iMac in graphics due to its integrated graphics.

Hope i could help,
    Steve

4. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Yes you sacrifice power for portability. I like Fusion best. I prefer Word for compatibility with my '07-using comrades.