Buying My First Macbook. Advice?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nomad2010, Jan 24, 2009.

1. nomad2010 macrumors newbie

I'm big into video editing. I do a lot of work for different things mainly as a hobby. I work with videos all the time on my computer.. All of my videos are high def so they are obviously large files. Cost doesn't matter. I want what will be the best. I was going to go with the 17" macbook pro that is releasing next week but is that my best bet?

2. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

If you are willing to carry it the new 17" will give you the highest possible screen resolution and processor speed.

The answer really depends on how you will be using it. If you have an external screen you could just as well buy the 15" MBP and use that.

Id make sure you have a big, fast FW800 external harddrive to your projects and then just get eith the 15 or the 17 depending on what size you find more usable.

3. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

I would buy a 15" and save the money for an external monitor and storage solution. Money being no object is cool, but when you start adding peripherals, the price goes up.

4. Haemorrage macrumors member

If you are looking for the best of the best and price doesn't matter, you should take a look at the Mac Pro or the top of the line iMac. However, if you are on the move often then the 17" Macbook Pro would be your best bet.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. This would give you greater flexibility.

6. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

The 17" gives you more screen and power but having a 15" w/ a external monitor is basically the same but bigger.

7. jroller macrumors regular

I have to agree with this sentiment.

8. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

mcpryon2

I agree, this will probably be your most important decision. "The best" is a big difference between a MBP setup and a Mac Pro setup. Also, have you decided what NLE software you're going for?

If you do editing as a hobby then you won't need a decked-out Mac Pro, Avid MC, and an Adrenaline, which would fall toward the "best" category.

9. pcwolff macrumors newbie

Yeah I also agree, unless money really isn't a problem saving the $ and getting a 15'' might be a good idea.