Buying my first MacBook. I really need advice.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sylvanshine, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Sylvanshine macrumors newbie

Is the MacBook Air 13" MD760 enough for Web Development and Photoshop? Or should I get rMBP 13" MGX72?

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Depends what you mean by enough

Web development can be done on almost anything...

Photoshop can be from very light use in Lightroom to very heavy use for professional 3D graphics creation. For light photo editing either will be fine.

To be honest if you spec an air out with the same ram and ssd then they are much the same price as the rMBP and the pro has that awesome screen (don't underestimate this it is the killer feature) and more ports...

3. imaccooper macrumors regular

imaccooper

I agree with the above response. Web development is no problem and photoshop can easily be done on either unless you are getting heavily into the program for serious graphic design projects. Everything probably comes down to price as well as your preference between the two (better battery and less weight with the air or more ports, power and better screen with the pro).

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

The base macbook air is perfect for web development.

5. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

I'm a huge Air fan.

That being said, if you are going to do Photoshop work, even light work, can you talk to any colleagues doing the same, about their perception of the screens of both the rMBP and the Air?

The Air has a high quality TN screen but may not be as nice as the screen on the rMBP, which has an IPS screen. Of course, the pixel count on the rMBP is much, much higher, but that may or may not be useful for you.

In other respects, they are so close in weight, battery life, etc., you really should focus on what you want to do with it.

6. LittleLuth macrumors member

get the Pro

I have one of each in the house - my wife primarily uses the Pro. Both of ours are 13" - I can't speak to your personal use case, workflow, software, etc. because mine are different, but I would strongly recommend the Retina display. Once you do any kind of work on a Retina screen, the current Air screen feels like you're looking through the screen door... Don't get me wrong - love my Air - but the Retina screen is awesome, and I have carried both computers around for the day and inside a briefcase you will hardly notice the difference. I've also hauled each around in a small portfolio style case - still hardly a difference - except when you fire up the screen. And, I was trying to convince my wife she needed to take the Air because it was "lighter and easier for her to carry..." She didn't bite...

7. Kajje macrumors 6502a

Kajje

I do web development on my Air (Mid 2013) base model (128GB/4GB)
    I mostly work at coffee bars - nearly never at the office.

I have Firefox with 10 tabs, MAMP pro, Remote Desktop, Photoshop, Illustrator, textwrangler, itunes, etc running at the same time without noticeable hickups.

Wouldn't change my Air for anything else. Except for a newer or higher spec'ed Air. Not because I need it - but if somebody wants to change hey, why not.

8. Sylvanshine thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for everyone's input. Decided to go with the Pro.

9. alanpepper macrumors newbie

New 12" Macbook?

Did the new 12" MacBook come to mind? It seems a viable system for you considering the similar price.

Sorry if I made this more confusing. I'm thinking between a new MacBook & MacBook Pro 13" also.

If I had never edited a single photo but plan to take lots of photos and video in the future, and also plan to "try" editing, is the new MacBook ok?

I'm not a programmer, not web designer, just a casual user who just started to have interest in photography.

10. troy14 macrumors 6502a

I don't think you'll regret it. Only marginally heavier than the air. I originally bought an Air and then returned it for the 13" rMBP. It feels a lot nicer since it doesn't taper an cut your wrists, and is essentially the same thickness but uniform.