Buying my first MacBook Pro Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by STiNG Operation, Nov 13, 2012.

?

MBP Buying Method Choice?

1. Buy it outright...

62.2%
  2. Make Payments...

8.9%
  3. Save for retina...

28.9%
  1. STiNG Operation macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

I'm finally going to be able to purchase a MBP this spring. I'm most likely going with the original 13" non retina so I can upgrade the memory to 8gb.

Should I make payments on it or buy it outright? Anybody that has done either please voice your opinions. Are the payments without interest?

Thanks.

2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

This all depends on your financial situation. If you can afford to pay outright then just pay it now. If you need to finance it, then finance it. I would suggest that if you are financing, then look for special financing deals that barclay or best buy give. Best Buy gives you a 18 mo 0% finance deal for purchases over $600. This will also depend on how responsible you are. These finance deals have high interest rates, but if you're responsible and make payments on time and pay it off, then you dont pay a dime over its actual cost. If you dont end up paying in time, that compounded interest will result in several hundreds dollars extra you'll be paying.

3. STiNG Operation thread starter macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

Thank you for your help. I'm definitely responsible with my bills:) This spring is when I finally pay off my med bills, thank god haha.

The Best Buy option sounds like the best way to go honestly. Financing is easier for me than buying outright and being out a large sum of money. Thanks again.

4. markus843 macrumors regular

Not sure if you know this, but the 2012 13" cMbp's can go up to 16 gigs of ram. Apple just says 8 gigs. It's only about $15-20 more expensive

5. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

General rule of thumb don't finance anything that isn't generating enough cash to pay for itself and the financing charges. If you can't afford to pay cash, then you can't afford the item. If you can afford to pay cash, but the financing rate is so low that you will earn more on your cash in a safe(ish) investment, then financing may be a sensible option.

If you would have to finance a new MBP, then buy a used one that you can actually afford. A 2011 or even 2010 will work just fine for most people for at least the next couple of years, maybe more.

6. elizacat macrumors newbie

Hi There,
    I have been saving for my MacBook Pro since July and will finally have reached my target next week! Way I have done it is buy an apple gift card and then add money to it each week or when I could afford it. I've split it over a couple of gift cards. It suited me to do it this way and found it was a great way to save without having the temptation to spend the cash. Also is obviously interest free.
    Hopefully there will be a discount with the Black Friday sale which will be a bonus.
    Good luck!

7. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

1. An Apple gift card laying around is more tempting than cash for me!

2. The "no interest" thing works both ways - as in Apple's earning interest on your savings when you go the gift card route - unless you get a discount on the gift cards.

8. elizacat macrumors newbie

Ha ha yeah I did have to be very restrained when the iPhone 5 came out - however for me I'm useless at saving and much prefer to pay upfront rather than taking credit so it worked for me.

9. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

10. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

Being in debt is one of the worst things you can do. I've paid for everything out right with the exception of my car. It was $26,000 put $10k down on it anyway, avoid doing things with credit cards and interest just gets into a mess. You will find other ways to build your credit. And be much happier with out having to worry how you are going top pay for it.

11. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

is this also true for my 13 inch late 2011 MBP? I'm currently running 8GB which is more than I would ever need.

12. markus843 macrumors regular

Yes the 2011 models can have up to 16 gigs of ram also

13. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

cool thanks, kinda wish I knew that when I bought the 8GB no point in me upgrading now though.

14. STiNG Operation thread starter macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

Is that an option you have to pick when customizing your MBP? Or is this something you buy after you purchase it? If it's after where should I buy ram from? And then just buy the lowest ram available from apple? Thanks.

15. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

You can option it from Apple but its too expensive!

I got mine from OWC or Other World Computing. I got 8GB for $73 some bucks so my iMac has 12gb in total. It was worth it IMO since I use VMs quite a bit. I thought the price was right no issues what to ever.

16. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I'm going to agree and disagree. First, you probably shouldn't buy it unless you can afford to buy it outright. However, anytime anyone is willing to give you money for free, take it fool! Take advantage of the 12 months no interest from Barclays if you can.

17. markus843 macrumors regular

You don't need to buy "mac" ram if you're wondering. Also never buy ram from apple, it's triple the price. Here is a good 2x8 gigs of ram 1600mhz, http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231582