Buying my first MacBook this weekend but still have some questions.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Garrettmania, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Garrettmania macrumors newbie

Alrighty, about a week ago I made a post asking which to buy, the 2.4 or the 2.0 Unibody MacBook, and I've decided that the extra 300 bucks will be worth it in the long run because I'm going to be putting windows xp on it as well so I need the hard drive space, plus the extra 400MHz can always help a little. So I'm going this weekend to get that at BestBuy (for the accidental coverage warranty with GeekSquad, otherwise I'd just get it from Apple.) So I'm pretty stoked about that.

Anyways! I know being in college, I'm gonna need SOMETHING to carry and protect my new MacBook. I've been looking on the Apple store and they don't really have many good choices. The only carrying case that I saw that I actually liked was the STM Small Alley Shoulder Bag. I was told by a friend/co-worker that I should get a laptop sleeve AND a carrying case, is this really necessary? Also, if anyone has bought this bag, what are your thoughts on it? Are there any bags similar to that one that would be better? I'd like to have something with room for a few text books, notebooks, and some pens/pencils. Is there a better site out there to buy laptop cases/bags from than Apple (granted I love Apple and I buy a lot from their store, but the selection is kind of slim).

Thanks!
    Garrett :)

2. Gleadr macrumors member

Gleadr

Well the STM Small valley is SMALL i would go with something like the hurley word argyle backpack i can hold up to a 17" macbook ad it has lots of room or i would go with an incase over he shoulder bag

3. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

4. Garrettmania thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I forgot to mention I don't like backpacks x_x

Which one?

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

6. Garrettmania thread starter macrumors newbie

Hm, well like the Targus bags and the Vaio is ok.
    I just realized that it might be better to order a laptop sleeve just so I have something to protect it and then get a bigger bag at the mall or something so I can try it out for comfort after I get the laptop. Thoughts on this idea?

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Sleeve do not protect it against drops. They protect against scratches.

In addition, sometimes you might forget you have a laptop in your non-laptop bag which results in careless handling of the bag.

I got the TCG200. Able to fit an amazing number of things in it, and the style is quite low profile.
    Check out the photo to see how many pockets it has.

That model might not fit a few text books though if the books are large.

8. Cboss macrumors 6502

9. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

STM Small Alley bag is what I have and I love it. Fits the MB snugly. There's another tall, slim pocket enough to fit a folder, 1 subject notebook and a thin book. I use my bag even w/o the MB often. I use it for class to carry a textbook, notebook, etc. There's a smaller zipper pocket on front as well for calculator notecards etc, a larger front pocket flap that goes over the bag I use for charging power supply. It's a well designed messenger bag that I love. Great for MB and great for a bag in itself for class etc. The charcoal color looks snazzy and the build quality is top notch. I like it for it's small profile, as I don't have to have a ton of notebooks, large textbooks with me when I go to class. This goes well with my minimalist approach. My MB feels very protected in it. Plus there's a handle if you want to carry it more like a suitcase and take off the shoulder straps etc.

I don't have a sleeve for the MB though, just slide it right in.