Buying my Macbook on Friday, and tips?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by psychotropic, Aug 13, 2008.

1. psychotropic macrumors regular

Hi everyone:

I have set an appointment at my local (well not so local, 2 hours away) store to purchase a black macbook with the student discount (I will pick up the ipod touch and printer). I was wondering if the sales rep is able to throw in any free bonuses (i.e., extra wall adapter, airline adapter, applecare, mobileme, etc.)? I know that the examples I listed are way out there and I wouldnt expect that, but I didnt know what else might be an add on for the purchase if anything.

Anyways, if you have an knowledge of this matter I appreciate your help. Please no rude or impolite responses.

2. super_kev macrumors 6502

super_kev

They could probably toss in something for you under normal circumstances, but you'd have to argue pretty hard when you are already getting a free iPod Touch and printer, and that's a great deal. ;)

3. jroller macrumors regular

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

Buy every computer in the store, you won't get any bonuses. You pay for what you get. When you're getting $100 off, a free printer, and free iPod, don't push it.

5. KSpider macrumors regular

They will give you $30 off MobileMe, if you want anything else, they will laugh at you.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Apple is not a used car dealership. Don't expect free crap.

If you classify that as rude, you have a lot to learn about Apple.

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

DOn't be rude, the OP is just asking. But it is kind of greedy when you already get a free ipod touch (i bought mine) and a printer (I bought mine too). I also purchased a MacBook and I got nothing more, nothing less, although I could of used the student discount, but it was november and past the deadline.

8. iOrlando macrumors 68000

haha...that would be funny....hey how much is this macbook..im in college ....hmm $999 for you. How about $800. No..$999. Ok fine...ill pay $999...can you throw some software in for free though...i mean i've traveled all day to be here....$999 sir..no free software

and btw...apple's "appointments" are a joke. You walk in there and someone just finds who ever isnt doing anything imporant and ta da your "appointment" began. Just go anytime you want..say you want to buy a macbook..and they will be all over you.

9. hookem12387 macrumors 6502

Congrats! Dont expect anything additional to be free, but at least you get good built in software

10. beanybean macrumors newbie

holy crap do not buy a macbook pro yet

holy crap do not buy a macbook pro yet! ALL of them contain faulty nvidia hardware - hundreds of people have had 100% video FAILURE in the fast few weeks - most of thje failing ones are about a year old - problem is that current pro's use the same card as the ones from a year ago. beware. The Video card affected is the Nvidia 8600M GT (either 256 or 512 mb) chipset. mine failed last night. bs.

11. iOrlando macrumors 68000

he said black macbook..not a pro. and you do know apple has sold millions of the pro...so a few hundred isnt a big deal.

Just because yours failed doesnt mean someone shouldnt buy it. Post helpful things not just complaining.

12. psychotropic thread starter macrumors regular

I do have alot to learn about apple...thus the reason I am in the forum duh! As I stated I do not expect anything more than what they are already giving me! I am not in any way making an attempt to be greedy or anything of that nature. I was simply asking a question out of my ignorance with the Apple company. I appreciate those of you that understood my question and answered it in a normal, forthright manner.
    I believe that numerous people on this site search for forums in which they can belittle any person that does not hold the same factual knowledge of Apple (tallest skill please note that not all these comments are geared towards you). I thought the purpose of the forums were to inFORM people, thus the use of Forum, to inform 'um (haha), I joined the site so that all you apple intellectuals could inform me (I am the 'um in the last sentence, no to be belittle.

Once again thanks everyone for your responses.

edit: Just a quick note, I decided I better mention that my statement above is more directed to the site as a whole than the individuals in this indidivual thread.

13. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

LOL I started cracking up... ROFL

READ MISTER or MISS. The OP said blackbook, and the no, the nVidia cards are not faulty. My friend (pro audio type of guy) has the one you mentioned and NO, it is not faulty. I read a report saying that it is faulty, but only some will fail, due to environment conditions and such. and the current line of mbps are not defected as reported by nvidia. And the ratio of hundreds to millions is NORMAL for ANY gpu or cpu or anything.

14. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

actually i think it has been proven they all will fail over time, even if its a couple years.

15. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

16. Googon macrumors member

If you don't care about Morals, say you are a college student, and apply for their rebate, and get a free iPod touch and printer!

DOWN WITH CAPITALISM, COMMUNISM SHALL RULE.

17. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

what does this havve to do with morals and capitalism?
    why wouldn't he get if he is a college student?

18. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Apple is one of the only "computer" stores that does no bargaining. And I think that's incredible. You always know you're being treated "fairly" and that the previous customer didn't get a better deal. It gives you more confidence in the purchase.

However, since you aren't going to an Apple store apparently, then you can probably bargain a bit on the accessories (not on the computer though). Any accessories you might buy have a much higher markup. Believe it or not but a third party reseller may make less than $20 on selling you a MacBook.

19. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

I would wait 3-4 weeks and buy one of new models coming out.

Bad move buying right now/the model you want to buy now will be
    at least $100 cheaper even if you didn't want the new one.

20. psychotropic thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not sure where this comment came from...I am a student so what would morals have to do with anything?

21. psychotropic thread starter macrumors regular

Where did you get the idea that I am not going to an Apple store? Do people not read the original posts? I specifically said, "I have an appointment with apple!" Man people amaze me!

Sorry for another post I don't know how to make more than one quote appear in my post. As for the other person that said to wait, I can't...My dell laptop is giving out and I am in graduate school and can not be with out a computer. I waited this long hoping a new update would come, but I can not wait any longer. I know I will be happy with my purchase now. Fall semester starts on Monday and for my assistantship I teach a two hour lab each week and need powerpoint or keynote to teach that class. Thats why I am buying today and not waithing. But thank you for your advice.

22. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

1. Get a full night's sleep so you go into the store refreshed and clear headed. The last thing you want is to be tired and not paying complete attention. You're going to be making quite a purchase. You need focus.
    2. Have a filling (but not heavy) breakfast that morning so you are content but not lethargic. You don't want to go to the store hungry as that can be distracting and give you the feeling that you want to get out of the store, quickly, so you can go eat. A heavy breakfast can induce a drowsy feeling and an almost "indifferent" attitude. You want to be engaged and assertive, not indifferent.
    3. To warm you up, watch at least a half hour worth of tv (but not more than 2), before going to the store. This would help ease any nervousness, anxiousness and uneasiness that you may be feeling. You don't want to be on edge when you get to the store. Instead, calm, relaxed and ready to go. You may want to avoid any super stimulating activities like playing videogames before going to the store. Those kind of things may wind you up too much.
    4. When you get to the store, browse and play around with things. Don't go right for the MacBook and a sales person. Look at the various computers and accessories and then (after 5 - 10 minutes or so) make your way to the MacBook. This would ease you into the purchase and allow you to be fully aware of your surroundings.
    5. Hopefully, you've done your research by now. You'll be getting a great deal. So, don't expect any extra freebees. Apple is not known for haggling. You'll likely just get a discount on MobileMe.

Also, don't forget a camera! You may want to grab a picture of you buying your new Mac!

...And welcome to the Apple family!

23. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

That is the routine that I do before I take my actuarial exam every time.

24. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

I understand that you are new to this site, but please, next time, read your OWN original post. You do not in any way mention that you are going to an Apple retail store. So, before flaming someone who has been here for a lot longer than you, look into it first.

Your rude attitude will not get you far at MacRumors. If you expect people to reply seriously, you need to be courteous. Thank you.

25. psychotropic thread starter macrumors regular

I appologize for missing the word apple infront of the word store. But the fact that I mentioned I was getting an iPod touch and a printer should tip you off to the fact that it's an apple store. I haven't seen any other stores that offer such rebates. But once again I appologize for my typo, I thought it was there. Either way I am a proud owner of a new mac laptop and thats all that matters.