Buying My Macbook Today

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by :Scott:, Feb 10, 2008.

1. :Scott: macrumors newbie

Well im buying my white macbook today :D Cannot wait to ditch windows and try the OS X. Im just wondering what programs should i get installed on the macbook. The shop is already putting office 08, iwork, ilife and photoshop on for me is there anything else i should get?

2. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

3. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Here is the list of apps that I use. Most of them are free and the ones that aren't are not extremely neccessary for the average user.

Good luck!

Attached Files:

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I generally recommend getting things as you need them, instead of just getting lots of things you might not really need. The only essentials the average person will need are a browser (Firefox, Safari, etc), a music player (iTunes), a video player (VLC), an office suite (Open Office, MS Office, etc), and perhaps a chat client (Skype, Adium, etc). Beyond the basic stuff, I'd just look for recommendations whenever I needed a program for a specific task...or google it myself. :^) Otherwise, installing junk you don't need will have pretty similar effects on your Mac as they would on your PC.

5. deniser macrumors 6502

deniser

Congrats on the new MB and welcome to the world of Mac OS. I switched last summer and have never looked back.

6. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Excellent advice. Get to know how OSX, and the programs that come with it, work before changing things. I often recommend David Pogue's "Switching to the Mac" but the Mac way is just to try things and explore. Best wishes.

7. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

As you use your laptop you'll slowly find software you need.

8. :Scott: thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice, i got the software i listed in my first post and left it at that. Since ive been home ive downloaded some stuff and have been getting used to the new OS and all i can say is why didnt i switch earlier. Brilliant piece of hardware and brilliant software :D

9. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I would recommend downloading:

Flip4Mac
    VLC
    Unarchiver

and that's about it -- of course you should buy Microsoft Office or iWork for your word processing needs

10. fakhir macrumors newbie

Hi All,
    I am from India.
    Can anyone tell me the price of Macbook white in Malaysia with 2.2 GHz speep, 120 gb Ram and a DVD burner...

Pls. also advice if buying from Malaysia is worth.
    Actually one of my friends is about to visit Kuala lumpur...

Thanx,

Regards,

Fakhir

11. southerndoc macrumors 6502a

southerndoc

store.apple.com