Buying my MBP tomorrow! Need tips!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iTabone, Aug 15, 2008.

1. iTabone macrumors regular

A few questions:

1. Do I need an appointment? I heard some people talk about scheduling an appointment?
    2. Which screen should I go for: matte and glossy?

Thanks!

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

3. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

1. Appointment isn't necessary, although you might have a better customer service experience. I walked right into the store and just bought it. Might want to call ahead to see if they have the model that you want before you waste gas.

2. I think the Matte screen looks brilliant on the MBP. It's a beautiful screen and I can see things clear even in glare. It's always sharp. I think the glossy looks a little tacky and cheap, but that's just me.

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

1. You do not need an appointment.

2. That's your choice, and is entirely personal opinion.
    You can read a few threads about it:

3. If you can, wait.

5. iTabone thread starter macrumors regular

Should I really wait? If there is a huge update, do I really have to be Apple's guinea pig? There is going to be an update every year.

And thanks for your opinion on the screen.

6. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

Don't buy ram from apple get it from datamemorysystems.com

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Twice a year, actually, but this update will bring a GPU that isn't a year old.

Plus more stuff. Stuff is all you need.

8. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

The update is rumored to be a re-design, something the MBP form factor hasn't had for a loooonngg time. If you can, wait. Normal updates are usually every 6 months or so.

9. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

If you need it now, buy it. Don't wait for an update that may not even happen. Even it there is an update later on in the year, will it really stop your MBP from being the awesome machine it it today? No, it'll work just like the day you bought it. Flawlessly.

Besides, it's not even guaranteed. I remember in March when looking for a Mac mini, every single person on this forum told me to wait. I took the risk and bought it, and 5 months later, no Mac mini update.

10. shdowman macrumors member

appointment? Wait

Screen? Wait!

If you can hold off for just a few more weeks.....

Consider this,

Buy one now + new design/faster speed comes out in a few weeks = value of yours dropping a few hundred dollars instantly.

Not that it's all about reselling it. Also, if you are really favoring getting this one, wait till updates and buy refurb....save $$

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

This topic is covered on a good many other threads. However, in answer to your query, I suppose the first thing to note is the name of the forum; it's called Mac Rumors, not Mac Facts. Having said that, some of the "rumours" do, indeed, appear to be quite well-sourced. As recently as last week, the received wisdom was that any change to the MBP would take the form of tweaking at most. Minor speed bumps. That sort of thing. Over the past two days, the mood has changed and informed opinion seems to be suggesting something considerably more extensive may be on the cards.

Shdowman makes a good point - one I agree with and have said in other posts - that if you wait to buy to current machine, you'll probably be able to avail of quite a generous discount. If you buy now, you'll still get a great machine, aesthetically attractive, great performance, powerful and equipped with a superb screen. If you wait, and buy the new machines, obviously, they will be outstanding; they may have some glitches, which may ned to be ironed out. It is your choice. I'm a recent switcher and I'm very happy with my MBP. Good luck and cheers.
    :apple: MBP 15.4", 2.4 ghz, 2 GB RAM, 160 HDD; iPod classic 30 GB