BUYING NEW 13INCH MACBOOK PRO, FEW QUESTION...sort of

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Inspired, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Inspired macrumors regular

Inspired

Hi everyone,
    To Start off, I'm new to Apple products so I apologize if these questions have been addressed on another thread, or if this thread is posted in the wrong section.

I'm really excited about the new upgrades from Apple and I'm planning to get a 13inch 2.26ghz 2GB RAM MacBook Pro. My Questions are...

1) I read a few threads and most people who are getting the 13inch are getting the 2.52ghz, Is there a HUGE difference between 2.26ghz and 2.52ghz? I'll just be using my new macbook pro for some light gaming(like sims 3) What are some primary reason anyone would get the 2.52ghz over the 2.26ghz?(just curious)

2) I am still debating over whether or not I will purchase AppleCare. From my understanding so far is that, I am given a year to purchase AppleCare, During this time I am given a one year warranty. Does the warranty cover all parts replacement like AppleCare? Is it worth purchasing AppleCare? If yes then, does that mean Macbooks often run into hardware failures?(Not trying to start anything, I'm just curious)

3) If i purchase Applecare and something happens to my Macbook that is NOT covered by AppleCare am i able to get a refund from Apple for my AppleCare?

4) I am planning to upgrade to a 4GB RAM on my own. I was wondering where is the best place to purchase RAM? How do you install these RAM? I read a few threads about installing RAM but didn't quite understand(not a computer wiz sorry) most of these thread mentions something about BIOS(what's this?), configuring(what's this?), looking up specs(what's this?). Can anyone answer these questions and point me to a step by step guide to installing RAM?

Again, I'm sorry if these questions have been answered many times before, I have searched around the site and either I've had bad luck finding my answers or it just hasn't been addressed before. And Thank you for taking the time to read this!

-Cheers(last question, why does people say this at the end of Threads?)

2. DavoMrMac macrumors 6502

DavoMrMac

Hello

OK, I will try to answer your questions.

1. IMO there will be very little difference in speed. Yes it will be faster but not by much. The main difference for the money is the 2.52GHz model comes with a larger hard drive and 4GB (double the RAM). I ordered the 2.26GHz as for just half of the price difference I could add a 500GB hard drive and 4GB RAM.

2. I have had many desktops and laptops from Apple. If it were a budget thing, then I would only ever buy it for my laptops. Screens, motherboards etc are very expensive to repair outside of the standard one year warranty. You only need one repair to reap the reward of having bought Applecare. IMO you also seem to get preferential treatment if you have problems and have invested in Applecare. I had one laptop swapped for a brand new one after 18 months of ownership, this may not be the norm, but they did it because I had Applecare.

3. No is the short answer. If you laptop drops out of a window and smashes on the floor and you have no accident insurance to claim on, so the laptop is written off, the Applecare would not be refunded. It remains with the machine if you sell it on though, which does add value. If your laptop develops a fault that Apple cannot repair or it is not financially viable to repair, they will transfer it to your replacement laptop.

4. My only recommendation for this is crucial.com or crucial.com/uk as they have guaranteed RAM and easy drop down menus to select the correct RAM.

Hope this helps.

3. ghettochris macrumors 6502a

i would give some advice, but i hate people who USE ALL CAPS IN THEIR SUBJECT. RUDE.

4. Inspired thread starter macrumors regular

Inspired

Thanks DavoMrMac for the response, I appreciate it.

@ghettochris I apologize for being rude, I'm new, please forgive me... I'll keep in mind to not use caps in future post.

5. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

stop being a baby ....waaawaaawaaa...your rude

6. Inspired thread starter macrumors regular

Inspired

Thanks MacModMachine :)

7. gasport macrumors 6502

gasport

The Upgradeplace has the 4GB 2 2x2GB for $62 I have purchased their memory for a 2 year old iMac and a 1 year old MacBook and have never had any memory problems. Same with friend who recommended and he knows more about memory than the average person....

8. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Just throwing it out there that I think you need VRAM in order to play 3D games like Sims 3. The 13" line doesn't have any VRAM.
    Macs are arguably less prone to problems than Windows PCs, but as with anything in technology, **** happens. AppleCare can save you money down the road.

9. Inspired thread starter macrumors regular

Inspired

@gasport thanks for the recommendation!!!

@geoffreak which is the minimum macbook you think I'll need to play Sims 3?

10. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

The midrange 15" ($2k USD) is the cheapest laptop which offers VRAM, but you should verify with someone more knowledgeable about gaming as to whether or not you need it.

11. Inspired thread starter macrumors regular

Inspired

I will be sure to ask around THANKS!