Buying new and selling the old

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TouchMint.com, Sep 5, 2012.

1. TouchMint.com, Sep 5, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2012

TouchMint.com macrumors 68000

TouchMint.com

If they ever release a new iMac I plan on selling my old MacBook.

I have a few questions about the whole process.

I have never messed with time machine but from what I hear it is a complete backup. I think I should be able to run time machine and it will create a backup file. I will save that file to an external drive and when I get the new iMac I will run time machine and load up the backup file from the external drive and it will be ready to go?

EDIT ANSWER FOUND:
    Looks like I can just use migration assistant and directly connect the two computers using an Ethernet/Firewire/Thunderbolt cord.

Here is the link for others: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4413

Once I have the copy complete I would like to completely erase my drive and write 0s if possible. What is the best software for this for mac?

Once that is done I need to install mountain lion without a disc on to this wiped MacBook computer. I have purchased it under my app store but how will I access it to load it? Will I need to create a boot cd/flashdrive?

Sorry about all the questions and thanks for the help. :D

2. RedCroissant Suspended

The best software for writing zeros to the HDD is disk utility. Other people recommend Carbon Copy Cloner or other third-party software, but I have relied solely on DU and it has always worked perfectly.

If you're going to sell the macbook, then you shouldn't install ML on it since it is tied to your AppleID. You should just downgrade it to Snow Leopard and then let the buyer upgrade it to either Lion or ML. Unless of course you bought the macbook with Lion on it, then that would be fine.

3. TouchMint.com thread starter macrumors 68000

TouchMint.com

Thanks for the heads up on the zeroing software I will check it out.

As for the reasoning to put ML on the macbook is that it will help the sale. If I am selling a macbook on craigslist/ebay with ML rather than SL it should grab me a bit more and set me apart. It looks like my only option will be to reinstall SL and then login to my mac store account and download and install ML. from there I will log out of my mac store account and do the sale. Seeing the next computer I buy will have ML is there any harm in doing what I suggested above?

4. RedCroissant Suspended

I don't know if you're even allowed to do that. The reason is because even though you will be logged out, your Mac App Store account will show that you previously downloaded it. And I'm concerned as to whether or not the person that buys it from you will be able to update it if it wasn't purchased with their AppleID.

I ran into that problem with my MBP and it wouldn't let me install the updates for iPhoto because I had to log in with the account used to purchase it.

If you don't have AC remaining, call an Apple Retail Store and ask someone there. They should be able to tell you whether or not you're allowed to do that.

And if not, just offer to either buy it for them, or something.