buying new camera

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by emjaycee18, Aug 8, 2011.

1. emjaycee18 macrumors regular

I originally posted this in the digial photography forum, but I'm having video question; hence the repost.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm looking to buy a new camera, specifically the Sony DSCHX100V/B. I've found mixed posts as to whether or not iPhoto, iMovie, and Quicktime supports the video formats from this camera (or a lot of HD formats). Does any one know or have experience imports videos from their camera, specifically in AVCHD 60i/60p. The camera also records in MP4 / MPEG-4 AVC(H.264), I'm guessing that there definitely is support to import these formats, but the quality isn't as good.

Any info is much appreciated.

2. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

3. apeden macrumors member

When I had my Sony HDR-FX7 I just used FCP and used Logged and Capture to do it. I had to change some of the settings for HD in order for it to work though...

4. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Don't think iMovie has native AVCHD support. It converts to Apple Intermediate Codec instead, so it will work. FCP X has native AVCHD support so no conversion should be necessary unless you want to convert to ProRes.

5. emjaycee18 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm fine with having to convert the files if I'm going to edit. Will iMovie or Quicktime play the file naitvely?

6. Barnzee macrumors regular

iMovie exports to a .mov format so you shouldn't have any issues watching after yout edit is complete.