Buying new earbuds/headphones

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by JJBuck, May 8, 2008.

1. JJBuck macrumors newbie

Okay, the stock earbuds don't fit, so I need to buy something new. I have read many threads about the best alternatives, but want some advice on what YOU did to find replacements. The Apple Store won't let you try before you buy - I would love to check fit and sound quality. Or do you go off of recommendations and buy online and hope for the best?

A list of alternatives is good, but I'm most interested in hearing how you went about buying replacements.

2. Drucifer macrumors regular

When my head phones that came with my Nano crapped out on my (only took a couple months) I went out on the hunt for a good pair of ear buds.

I didn't want to go spend a ton of money on them so my price limit was only around $30 or so. I tried Skull Candy Ink'd and one of the ear buds had problems with the wires after a few days so I returned them for another pair which also had problems. Took them back again but this time refused an exchange and choose a different pair.

I decided to get the JVC Marshmallows and I'm still using them now with my touch. They may not be top of the line head phones but they are very good for their price and they will stay in your ear. Last time I was in to Futureshop they had them on sale for $20. :D

BTW, my goal when searching was to find some good sounding ear buds for a decent price and ones that would not keep falling out of my ear. I was also looking for a set that would not cause my ears to get sore like the Apple ones seemed to do.

I picked up the Skull Candy Ink'd on many suggestions and went for JVC Marshmallows because they didn't have many other options in my price range when I returned the other ones. I also really like the colors they offered. :p

3. SHOlover macrumors member

I use these for running, and all around listening. they really seal in your ears for a good fit. However, some people don't like such a good seal. It says they are made for sansa, but they work with my Nano very well. These are METAL headphones, which I like, but some say they are heavy:rolleyes:

Great sound and great durability. And if I lose them I won't be out a fortune like the bose, hk, sennheisers.

4. shadowmanifest macrumors newbie

I don't know exactly what you're looking for but, I have tried out many different inear headphones and haven't had any luck as far as sound quality. I personally like on ear headphones for comfort. I finally broke down I bought a set of skullcandy lowpros. They are the best sounding on ear phones I have ever heard. And they aren't that pricey. I got mine on amazon for about $45. You should check out www.skullcandy.com. They are pretty stylin too!

5. JJBuck thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks...

I am looking for something low profile, similar to the stock earbuds, but I want them to fit better. I prefer in-ear, probably will spend around $50, and I don't consider myself too particular. I just don't want to buy many earbuds and keep returning them until I get it right.

6. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

Any type of Skull Candy earphones are amazing. I have the $20 pair and the quality, fit, and noise canceling is awesome.

7. crmccashin macrumors regular

crmccashin

I went through about five different makes before landing on the 11mm version of the "Full Metal Jacket" version from Skull Candy. Not real thrilled about the silicone type wire it has, but great sound, plenty of bottom end the in-line volume control is nice to have at times. Well worth the $49.99.

8. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

Apple has its own In-Ear Earbuds, where they have replaceable buds to fit your ear better.

Also sure has some as well which are REALLY great sounding for earbuds.
    i think theyre the Shure 110's or Shure 210's

9. laserfox macrumors 6502

laserfox

I would not reccommend getting the in the ear skull candy headphones. I bought 3 different pairs and each the wiring shorted and only one ear piece would play. Three times! Thats $20 bucks times 3!

I recently bought an unlikely pair of headphones. Made by a collaboration of Phillips and Swarovski, its pretty neat looking and the wiring is made of rope, so I expect it to outlast all my previous headphones.

I must be honest though and say my first pair broke down within 10 days. Macy's (J&R Music World) gave me a new pair and its been great so far. I got it for 50 bucks marked down from 99 dollars. Check it out here

10. jrmontag macrumors newbie

skull candy ftw

I can't remember what the precise model name was, unfortunately. But, I picked up a pair of Skull Candy ear buds about a week ago. They rock!

They came with three different size rubber thingies* so you can get a good fit, hopefully. Two biggest bonuses, though: 1) they block out 90% of surrounding noise, and B) there's actually legit bass! :) (that was my biggest beef with the :apple: buds)

I got mine at Target for ~$12, so I assume their nicer (i.e. more pricey) ones are good, too.

*very scientific term

11. dagored macrumors 65816

12. wombat888 macrumors 6502a

Buying new earbuds/headphones

I have a pair of Shure earbuds - don't remember the model, but they were about $100 maybe 18 months ago. They sound great, but I find them a bit fussy as far as getting them to fit right. One bud or the other is often getting loose, which diminishes the sound. Not sure if it's my ears, I'm using the wrong foam sleeves, or what. The rubber sleeves hurt my ears.

I also have the Bose around-ear headphones, $130ish, received as a Christmas gift. I wasn't sure how I'd like them, because I'd heard that Bose is overrated. Also, they are bulkier than on-ear headphones and of course far bulkier than earbuds. But I now use them in almost every situation when I want headphones or earbuds. They're so comfortable you could wear them 24/7 without issues, they sound great, and nobody else can hear what I'm listening to.

A coworker has some on-ear Grados. He likes them, but I can literally make out the words of whatever he's listening to, from 15 feet away.

13. dagored macrumors 65816

The Shure now come with 6 pair of different size and type of sleeves: 3 flex and 3 foam. It takes a while to find the right fit, but when you do. Big difference.

I have the Bose Triports in ear phones. Now, talk about trying to get the correct fit. However, after reading the directions on how they are to be inserted, they are comfortable, but not noise cancelling.