Buying New iMac - Need Advice

Discussion in 'iMac' started by greg.richard, Aug 6, 2008.

1. greg.richard macrumors newbie

So I`m going to Future Shop tomorrow to check out the iMacs, and I`m ordering mine online this weekend, but I have some questions first.

1. I currently have an HP Pavilion laptop, which runs Windows Vista.. my question is, will all of my files on my mac be compatible with Windows, since I will be presenting them at school using windows?

2. I am playing on buying the 2.4 Ghz (20 inch), but I want to buy some RAM from Crucial. I am wondering if I upgrade it from 1 GB to 3 GBs, will I be voiding the warranty?

3. I really want to customize my iMac with pre-installed iWork 08, and with a Wireless mouse and keyboard, but will this prolong the shipping process? I obviously want to ASAP!

Those are all the questions I can think of right now, but if I have more I will post them!

I am so excited, I can hardly sleep at night!!

Thanks

2. pcorajr macrumors 6502

PcoraJr

3. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

:)

4. Zieg3rman macrumors member

No, This video does a pretty good job.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb_B3K1Za5Y

5. greg.richard thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

So if my iMac comes with 1 GB, do I buy 3 Gigs, or do I buy 4? I didn't see crucial selling 3 GBs.. but if I add 4 GBs, won't that add up to be 5 Gbs? I read that the max is 4...

I'm confused!

6. ninjapenguinart macrumors regular

You take out the 1GB stick and put 2 2GB sticks, that way you go from 1GB to 4GB ^_^

7. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

On what a previous poster recommended about buying the mouse, keyboard, and iWork separately...

Unless I'm misinformed, you get a price cut on those when you order them with the computer. This is definitely true with iWork (unless they don't do that any more).

8. greg.richard thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, you are correct. That was the primary reason for wanting the wireless mouse and keyboard, plus the iWork.. I believe it is $20 off for the mouse, $30 off for the keyboard, and iWork pre-installed is only $79..

And thanks ninja!