Buying new iMac off Craigslist. Suggestions/To-Do's before?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Blazer5913, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Blazer5913 macrumors 6502

Hey guys, I am in the market of selling my older MBP and MBA for a new 27" iMac, the 2011 model with Thunderbolt and SB processors. Anyways, I found a guy on Craigslist selling his 27", i5 high-end model that he bought in store. He sent me a picture of the box, as well as the receipt on top of the box (after asking for it, didn't seem like a generic picture). The receipt looks like it is $1634 before tax and 1730 after tax. He says the box has never been opened, factory sealed and new. So obviously it is still under original AppleCare. I could add my own further AppleCare to this as well, correct? Anyways, I am just hesistant as I've never made such a large purchase on Craigslist ever. He wants to meet at his work, so at least its local and not a shipping scam. I would prefer a public place (we even have a local Apple Store in a mall nearby, so possibly outside there?). But what other information should I be asking/getting from him? Or to see other pictures? Precautions? I just asked him for the part number on the receipt, just to verify that it matches up with the stock config on the current i5 27". Any help would be great guys, really appreciate it!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Ask him why is he selling it. I would also ask to use the machine so you can see that it works.

3. Blazer5913 thread starter macrumors 6502

He got it as a gift and needs the cash now, instead of returning/shipping it back to Apple and waiting 2 weeks for a refund. I know, that sounds a bit off to me as well. But in my head, he has the machine, he has the receipt, and we have an Apple store around us, so its just like why not return it to the store right there? And according to him, its factory sealed and never opened/used, so if I were to buy it from him, would at least plugging it in and watching the welcome startup videos/setup prove that it's working? But it is a great, price he is asking, $1150.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Just checking that it boots should be enough. However, 1150$ sounds a bit fishy so I would be very careful.

5. Blazer5913 thread starter macrumors 6502

I know, that's what I keep thinking myself (and I guess I am answering my own questions but I don't want to hear it haha). I just texted him why not just take it back to the Apple Store for a full refund? Will see what he says...

6. Blazer5913 thread starter macrumors 6502

He said it takes 2 weeks for them to send you a refund in the mail (by check). He says he needs cash now, bills to pay, but if he still has the computer at the end of the day today, he's gonna take it to the APple store and do it? WHAT DO I DO!?!?!

7. wxman2003 Suspended

Seems like the answer is right there. Go with him to Apple, have them check it out. If it's good, give him the cash.

8. Blazer5913 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, maybe I'll say if you're taking it to Apple anyways tonight, let's meet there. If I'm satisfied, I'll give you the cash right there. If I still feel weird, you can return it there and get your check for full later. Would the Apple store/employees be okay with that happening right there in the store? I don't mean handing him the money, but taking it out of the box and starting it up? Never seen that before haha.

9. wxman2003 Suspended

I don't see why not. It's already been purchased so it's not like they are opening an unsold imac for a customer to test.

10. wxman2003 Suspended

Since he got it as a gift, most likely it was purchased with someone else's credit card. So even with the receipt, I doubt Apple would send him the money. So in reality, you have the one up on him. Going to Apple store with him is your best bet. Even if the computer is perfect, he will find out the original buyer is the one who will get the refund.

11. Blazer5913 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, you guys have been such a great help, and so quickly. Thanks so much. He's trying to say he only wants serious buyers blah blah because of my questions. I'm basically going to leave it if he wants to return the computer tonight for the full refund (if he can even get it to his name, which is a GREAT point), then fine, do it. I'll meet him at the apple store anyways. I will open it (which will lose the "unopened" status but does Apple care about this on returns? Stocking fee?) power it on, and if everything is OK, then I'll give him cash on the spot. No way I'm meeting him at his work though, no thank you haha

12. wxman2003 Suspended

He was going to open it for you at his work. So why shouldnt he be willing to do it at an Apple store? Yea, it will be an open box return after that, but he is likely past his 2 week full refund rule anyway.

13. phlydude macrumors regular

phlydude

did anyone ever think he may have acquired it through a stolen credit card?

He can't return it because the credit was never his...

This may not be a "box full of bricks" or a "white van" scam but it is shady nonetheless...

I would almost guarantee that this was purchased with someone else's funds for the full intent of flipping it to get cash in hand

14. Blazer5913 thread starter macrumors 6502

Another great point. Well, he just sent me the picture I wanted, including the part number (MC813LL/A), Model A1312, and included the serial number, airport/ethernet/bluetooth ID numbers as well. Anything that I should do with these and run them by anything? But he agreed to meet at the Apple store, and open/power it on there. Worth it to make a Genius appt you think? Man this is gonna be weird in there, never done anything like this. But wanting this iMac for awhile now and if I can get that machine at that price, definitely bounce on it right? Brand spanking new and add some aPPLECARE with the money I've saved to ensure everything, as well as my conscious haha.

15. wxman2003 Suspended

Sounds like he is willing to meet your requirements. I would follow through and meet him at Apple because if it's legit, that's a great price you will never see again. You have nothing to lose by meeting him at the Apple store.

16. trip1ex, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011

trip1ex macrumors 68000

Why on earth would he sell you a machine for $400 less than what he can get for it on Ebay or Amazon or from returning it?

Hard to fathom.

17. wxman2003 Suspended

That's why he is going to meet the guy at apple and have them check over the system. They will know if it works properly.

18. aramosc macrumors regular

aramosc

If he is opening it in front of you and serial numbers match and everything its legit.. just checked that everything is in place once you poen it.. go for signs that it has been open before and then if you find something fishy then don't give him the cash... but if he took you toi his work then he would be risking his carreer iun case there was something wrong with the computer..

19. Blazer5913 thread starter macrumors 6502

So he had another buyer that was willing to meet him at his place for 100$ more ($1250 total), but I said I don't mind paying the buyer's price or more but meeting in public at the Apple Store is extremely important to me. So he just contacted me again saying he will meet at the Apple Store for $1250, final price. I would be crazy not to do this, correct? Assuming that I was already looking at this exact model, literally same specs and all.

20. aramosc macrumors regular

aramosc

go for it! I bought a used mac pro 3.1 with massive upgrades for $950! they are going on eBay on bids for twice as much.. there ase people that are desperate for the cash and you gain at their loss..

21. Blazer5913 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I managed to meet him in the middle at $1200 even. And him meeting me at the Apple Store to open/power it up. I don't know why I still have a shaky/weird feeling about this, but I'm gonna do it. I've been looking through the glass at these machines for awhile now, and I'm ready for 27" inches of glory and a slick i5 Sandy Bridge to replace the Core2Duo in my MacBook Air RevB. Now back onto Craigslist to try to get most of my money back for the MBA, especially soon before they decide to refresh that line.

22. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Good luck man! I hope everything works out for you and I'm sure it will. Welcome to the 27" club!

23. Blazer5913 thread starter macrumors 6502

appreciate it. Don't worry, I will be back soon to double check on upgrading the RAM. With 4GB stock, I know I will want more in there, but I guess its just an matter of whether I bump it up to 8Gb total (2 more 2gb sticks for around $40) or up to 12gb total (2 more 4gb sticks for around $90 total). Hmmmm, this decision stuff never ends. Not a bad problem to have I must say though.

24. Blazer5913 thread starter macrumors 6502

One more thing guys:

If I have the serial number, is there anything that I should enter it into or run it through to ensure anything? insert my paranoia haha.

25. Krovem macrumors 6502

Krovem

Sounds a little weird. I would stay away from craigslist. I would rather pay more than buying from there.