Buying new imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bcooln, Jul 31, 2014.

1. bcooln macrumors regular

Im looking to buy a new imac 27'. Mostly use for school, photo editing and use some windows program. So i will running windows also. I just wondering, do i need the upgrade fusion drive? And is there any other thing i need to upgrade my Imac. I only have a budget of 2000$ thanks

2. Rud3Bwoy Suspended

Rud3Bwoy

2000 buy refurb and yes get a fusion drive or flash storage

ram can be upgraded later on if needed

also not for nothing but check ebay i seen someone selling a imac 27 suped out for 2400 with 50 bucks shipping which is a great deal.

3. RCAFBrat, Jul 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2014

RCAFBrat macrumors 6502

For your uses it would be a shame not to get Fusion drive or pure SSD.

As stated in previous post, check out the refurbs first. Typically about 15% discount but also look at education store (save $120 plus get $100 gift card on the base 27" iMac with Fusion or SSD). Another consideration might be ordering from B&H Photo (they carry configurations that are usually BTO and not found in the Apple store) to avoid the sales taxes where you live but I doubt the savings would be as good as buying refurb or from Apple's online education store.

Best of luck!

Cheers

Edit: I just noticed you signature; not sure why you're not just getting a monitor and maybe dock for the MBP but there is no question you will regret going from SSD in your MacBooks to an HDD in the base iMac; definitely upgrade!

4. rei101 macrumors 6502a

You can get one of the first iMacs used with thunderbold and then install a flash drive at the apple store if you want. Or... get the computer and save for a few months and then upgrade, I mean, there is no rush.

I have a 2010 27" iMac that runs just fine with 12GB of ram and 1TB hard drive. You can fin it for $800 easy on ebay and it will work just fine for your needs. I do motion graphics with it.

Upgrade the ram and get a fusion drive but install it at a certified apple store because I was upgrading the hard drive on mine and is very tricky doing it yourself.

5. bcooln thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you guy. I will stick with the fusion drive. I tired to take the advantage of free tax this weekend, plus 100$ off education discount and 100$ gift card. So i will but the 27' 3.2ghz for 1699$+ 180$ for 1TB fusion drive plus some tax would run me less than 2000$.:). I just have one more question, does apple store have the imac with fusion drive in stock or it is just online? And is the refurbished imac is as good as the branded new one? Because i dont have much experience with refurbished electronic stuff. Thank you very much for your times guys.

6. macman312 macrumors 6502

Hi
    If I were you I'd upgrade hard drive. Go to a 512GB SSD from apple for $450 bringing your total price to US$2,349+ tax (on the education site since you are using it for school).

You can upgrade the RAM yourself which is easy and there are instructions on apple's website.

The only other thing I'd possibly suggest is upgrading the processor as well which is a extra $180. If you can find a refurbished one with a flash drive that is a good start. An added bonus would be with the i7 processor...

Examples: http://store.apple.com/us-hed/produ...ed-27-inch-imac-32ghz-quad-core-Intel-Core-i5

7. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

OP stated budget is $2000.

8. iF34R macrumors 6502a

iF34R

Will you NEED to upgrade to the Fusion drive? No. If it fits within your budget I would do it though. Don't upgrade the RAM from the store; it's costly. It is much cheaper to buy it and install it yourself.

With the Fusion drive, using bootcamp to run windows, it won't be on the flash drive. It will go on the hdd.