Buying new internal HDD!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spikeyjac, Feb 14, 2010.

1. spikeyjac macrumors regular

Going to buy a new internal hdd, I have mac os x and windows installed on my stock internal.. Any program that will allow me to transfer everything to my new hdd ( obviously I'll put the backup on a external hdd) and then not have to install all the programs again?
    Cheers
    hope you all knowwhat I mean :eek:
    Jack

2. HerrWulf macrumors newbie

Last time I upgraded my Mac's hard drive, I made a copy with Carbon Copy Cloner. Backed it up to an external drive, changed drives, copied it all over. Worked like a dream.

http://www.bombich.com/

3. spikeyjac thread starter macrumors regular

Brilliant, so it's as easy as that :p?

4. 6-0 Prolene macrumors 6502

Get an enclosure too. I put the new drive in the enclosure, copied everything, then installed the new drive in my MBP. Then I moved my old 200GB into the enclosure and keep it as a backup/portable drive. Only adds $12-13 from OWC.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Seagate/YST9500420AS/

5. HerrWulf macrumors newbie

You'll need to connect the second drive via USB or some other method to copy everything over, but yes. As 6-0 Prolene suggested, get an enclosure for the replacement drive, copy everything over and then switch the drives, or put the new one in, boot off the old one (via USB) and copy over that way.

I was stunned at how easy it was. Much easier than anything I'd done on my previous machines.

6. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Super Duper! It's a great image cloner that you can also use as part of your regular backup strategy.