Buying New iPad - Download Apps while in Retail Store?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jon169, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Jon169 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am travelling to San Diego from UK in a few weeks time for a few months and intend to buy an iPad while im over there from one of the apple stores. Is it right to assume I can buy one in store and also download my apps and settings while im in store (from icloud?).

Reason for this is im travelling around and wont be entering any wifi zones for a few weeks after purchasing and would want some apps like iphoto and imovie to be loaded on.

When i bought my 4S and got back to work on the wifi this seemed to work pretty effectively so just hoping this would be possible from apple store? Also would having a UK apple account have any restrictions on this operation as I am in the US trying the same thing?

2. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

As long as they have wifi. I doubt it will have restrictions. Plus in the US there are free wifi zones ALL OVER

3. Mrawr macrumors member

You most certainly can. I have restored everything from an iCloud back-up in stores quite a few times. Takes a bit.

4. DefBref macrumors 6502

All apple stores have free wifi, so you will be fine. I had to get my iphone replaced while i was in liverpool, so used icloud to restore while I wandered round the store.

5. highlights macrumors newbie

When I bought mine yesterday I was highly encouraged to set mine up in the store and download apps (free ones, no one was pushing me to spend money... But of course they wanted to make sure my accounts were all set up so I could spend money ;)

The setting up wasn't one on one which was good because I didn't really need help, but nice that there were employees around just in case. If I had things in the cloud they also would have ma sure that was set up before I left.

6. Jon169 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks for the replies that sounds promising. One other point. If I am using icloud in-store to restore my settings and apps, it will say "backup from previous ipad" or something along those lines - well I dont have a previous ipad and want it to backup from my iphone, will it know to do this?

7. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Yes, all your backups associated to your iCloud account will show up. You just have to make sure you select the right one when you "restore from iCloud backup".

8. djharris macrumors member

Most Starbucks, Panera Bread, and McDonald's locations have free wi-fi here. They can be a little slow if you have big downloads. Many small, independent coffee shops have free wi-fi, and they might be a little faster if they have cable internet. Of course, Apple stores have wi-fi, too.

Hope you enjoy your stay! :)

9. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
  10. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

mmm panera

i wish we had those in austin. one of the few things i miss about dallas ;)

11. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

There are several Panera locations in Austin!

12. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

i swear i checked for one when i moved down here a few years ago.
    i dont live far from the mopac and WC one.

thank you! i know where ill be this weekend...

13. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

You can do it. I've used Apple store wifi to make Skype calls while traveling abroad no problem. At one I even stood outside after it closed and used their wifi w/ Skype and my iPhone.

While you're here you can pick up a free app from Starbucks and setup a US app store account as all (although you can do that easily from anywhere but SB has some nice free apps from time to time.

14. ebolamonkey3 macrumors regular

ebolamonkey3

Wow haha, that's awesome.

15. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Done it many times and they even let me use their battery charger for my iPhone 4s while charging. that is why i love apple store :D

16. Azzin, Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012

Azzin macrumors 68040

I did the same while I was working in NYC in March. Stood outside the the Apple store on W16th St and made FaceTime and Skype calls.

Was obviously better before lunchtime, as the speeds slowed after that.

[Edit] - I also had my iPad 3 replaced in a UK Apple store recently and I restored from the iCloud backup I made that morning while I was in the store.