Buying new iPhone 3gs on a different line?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BeSe7enTeen, Jun 9, 2009.

1. BeSe7enTeen macrumors newbie

...ok so i bought the iphone 3g last july
    as you all know i do not qualify for the 299$ price of the iphone 3gs as i would have hoped :(

right now my phone is under my grandmothers name as is her phone and my moms
    so we have our own phones on 3 separate lines with 3 separate numbers.
    im the only one with an iphone and they are currently eligible for an upgrade on their crappy flip phones

so now since my grandmother is looking for a new phone and im about to graduate high school, shes willing to take my iphone 3g from me and buy me the iphone 3gs on the release date

*now would their be a way she can upgrade to the iphone 3gs and in some way, we can just swap phones? wand keep our same numbers? seeing that i am not eligible for an upgrade this year*

btw i live in the US and have AT&T

2. exhibit.b macrumors regular

She can upgrade her phone to the iphone 3gS and pay the subsidized price. Then you two switch sim cards. That's it. Then next year when the next iphone comes out your line will be eligible for an upgrade and you can get that phone.

3. BeSe7enTeen thread starter macrumors newbie

if i called at&t asked them about doing that, how would they react?
    is that against the law? cuz im technically getting around paying the extra money

4. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

Yes and Yes.

Please use search, this ? has been answered a ton.

Thanks,

5. bmms8 macrumors 68020

they allow you to do this and the corp stores will tell you the same. i did the same thing last year and i plan on doing it this year as well with another line on my family plan :p

i am upgrade eligible right now but i think ill keep that open for next years iPhone.

6. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

What does that do though to each lines contract tenure?
    Does the contract follow the phone/device or the line/number?IOW's, who then get the 2 years added on?:confused:
    THANKS!