Buying new iphone and need professional advice from you guys

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BornToMac, Dec 18, 2008.

1. BornToMac macrumors 6502a

BornToMac

Hey,

I am buying an iphone 3G after christmas (maybe waiting until Macworld), and I want some advice from people in the trenches.

1.) T Mobile or AT&T? I currently have T Mobile and successfully jailbroke my girlfriends original iphone when it first came out. Will I be able to customize an AT&T "legit" iphone the way I can a jailbroken phone? I don't have a problem switching, but I am not sure if it is worth it. Is it better in terms of mods to go with jailbreaking?

2) Any must have applications or mods? I am not talking about app store apps, but do you guys have any suggestions for multi sms or apps for sending picture messages, etc?

3) General advice. I am familiar with the basics (like I said, my g/f has had one for a while), but any recommondations would be appreciated.

4) What should I do with my old Blackberry Pearl? I was thinking of putting it in a ziploc bag and running over it repeatedly with my truck, but am not sure.

I know this is alot, and feel free to answer some/all/none of the questions. I definitely appreciate any helpful advice.

2. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

try to sell the blackberry on ebay

about the jailbroke, you can unlock it and jailbroke it...

and thes when you jailbroke it there is several apps for mms.

3. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

As far as I know, no one has unlocked the iPhone 3G to work on any US network outside AT&T.

4. TheMBC macrumors 6502

If you don't mind the higher price or AT&T at all, then just go with AT&T. They won't kill you :) Yes the 3G iPhone can be jailbroken... hopefully by December 31st, as the Dev Team just found out how to and they're just making the unlock "pretty." But ask yourself if it's worth it. $199/299 + $175 (termination fee) + One month service, unless you're going for the original iPhone on Craigslist or something.

I would say that Jailbreaking is not necessary unless you really want to customize the iPhone. The iPhone can send multiple SMS. As far as MMS goes, I think swirlyMMS but I think that costs money.

GET A CASE! DO IT!

Sell it and get a few extra bucks... presumably for that CASE THAT YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY GET!

5. Sysbase macrumors member

Sysbase

1)I'd go with AT&T if you want the full 3G experience. You can jailbreak but certain things might not work fully.

2)VLC App when it comes out.

3)I'd get Applecare.[​IMG]

4)Sell it on Ebay or Craigslist. Or keep it as a backup if anything should happen to your iPhone at least you got a phone.

6. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

If your cool with the switch to at&t by all means go that route. I for one barely pay anything for my iphone including the $6 plan for the internet edge speed. If you want to pay that much per month, then go for it, but I personally would not pay for an internet service worth 30 when you also need to pay for home internet. Not in this economy.

I personally don't use a any jail broken app. If you are into the whole ROM scene then my all means go for it. And if you feel you want to change the whole themes, then you can do it. Its worth it for many people but I'm happy with the appstore apps. I did use the internet sharing app before prior to getting an internet in my apartment. That was cool.

7. BornToMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

BornToMac

^^Helpful. I guess my question is not can a 3G iphone be jailbroken, but what would be the advantages of going that route versus going with AT&T. I like the idea of not having to worry about certain functions (visual voicemail, and who knows what else) not working, but I want to be able to customize my phone more than just what is offered in the standard settings. Are there any good programs that will allow you to do this on an ATT 3G? (See also the thread about typing sms in portrait vs landscape mode http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=617386). I want the freedom of customization without always having that update / brick my iphone problem. And I am definitely not going to get one of those huge plastic cases, Im looking at you TheMBC.

8. BornToMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

BornToMac

So I might have found the answer I was looking for. Basically I can use AT&T, jail break my phone and then be able to customize it the way I want via Cydia, correct? At the risk of this getting shut down for not being in the iphone hacks forum, will I have problems when I go to update if it is jailbroken (still on AT&T) but not "unlocked"?"