Buying new iPhone from O2 - Jailbreakable?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by GossipGirl, Feb 14, 2010.

1. GossipGirl macrumors member

Hello,

Sorry if this is an easy question to answer, please don't shout at me!

I moved from the 3Gs I had a few months ago back to my Blackberry. Since I'm always going over my minutes, its cheaper for me to get a second contract and have an iPhone and Blackberry.

I will be ordering a 3Gs from O2, which I imagine will come with 3.1.1, 3.1.2 or 3.1.3.

I heard reports that 'newer' 3Gs iPhones weren't jailbreakable at all, then I heard they were but that it was a tethered Jailbreak like the 3G iPod touch, then I was told it isn't possible to jailbreak them at all.

So my question:
    Will I be OK to jailbreak?

I only use Winterboard, O2 unlock iPhones willingly so I can do that when I travel abroad.

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes,read the above.
    Maybe will come with the new baseband that requires a tethered JB maybe not. Maybe with 3.1.3 and wont be jailbreakable maybe not.

4. GossipGirl thread starter macrumors member

Thanks.

The last time I got an iPhone, it came with the 3.0 firmware, which was almost a month after they implemented the new bootrom, and 3.1, I believe.

Obviously O2 buy them in huge amounts of stock and they sit in a warehouse until someone orders them.

Now, my next 2 questions:
    1. If my phone comes with 3.1.2 and the new bootrom/bootloader, will it be jailbreakable with blackra1n, but tethered? (needs to be jailbroken everytime it restarts)
    2. If my phone comes with 3.1.2 and the old bootrom/bootloader, will it be jailbreakable with blackrain, non-tethered? (Obviously this is a small chance, but it could happen)

Thank you :)