Buying new mac laptop, Hard drive transfer?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gator24765, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

I currently have a macbook pro 15" (unibody) looking to downsize a bit. I like all the programs and such and i have a lot of files on my hard drive. If i bought a new computer could i trade hard drives and it will basically be all the same stuff as my old comp or is it more complicated than that?

I can put the new hard drive in my current mbp and it will be ready for sale?

Also which computers will the 15" MBP (unibody) hard drive fit into? Im looking at 13" MBP or newest macbook.

Im just looking to avoid the mess of transferring computers

Thanks.

2. StopSign24 macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure that all Macbooks use the same size hard drive. So you can probably just take your old hard drive out, and put it in your new Macbook.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Notebooks have 2.5" HDD/SSDs with a height of 9.5mm or 12.5mm, both heights are acceptable in the Unibody MacBooks and Pros.

Be sure to run a system update to get the newest drivers and such.

But there is also Target Disk Mode, which would eliminate the need for a HDD transplantation.

4. Gator24765 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

run the system update before or after the transfer for best results?

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

After the transfer, as the "old" HDD contains the OS tailored for the "old" Mac, while you have a "new" Mac which needs other drivers. A system update remedies that.

6. Gator24765 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

7. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I have a mid '09 13" MBP and took my HD from that an put it in a new April/10 13" MBP.

After I swapped the drives I ran System Update on the new machine with my old HD installed and there wasn't any updates to download?

I should update the drivers on my HD to match the new MBP right? I think so, but what's the best way to do that?