Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamTheeGeek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2010
United Kingdom
Hey Members ,

I Would like to purchase the New Mac Mini to hook it up on my Sony HDTV and sony surround sound so

Can i hook up an Optical Audio Cable from the mac mini to my home theater and an HDMI cable to my tv directly from the mac mini ?

Thank you

Vylen

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Yea, you can do that.

You could just plug the Mac Mini into the surround system if your setup has a digital amplifier and the HDMI ports. By-passing the surround system to plug into the TV is a bit of a waste I guess.

SamTheeGeek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2010
United Kingdom
Yea, you can do that.

You could just plug the Mac Mini into the surround system if your setup has a digital amplifier and the HDMI ports. By-passing the surround system to plug into the TV is a bit of a waste I guess.

Well my home theater is all Sony and it has a technology called Bravia Sync which basically means they all work together perfectly.

for example the setup on my Ps3 is HDMI to my TV , Optical Cable to my Surround System Home Theater, so i get audio from my home theater and video from my tv ofcourse.

i wanna do exactly the same thing with the mac mini , if possible can anyone please link me the cables i should buy ?

Vylen

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Ok then...

Cause well, I got my PS3 plugged into my Sony amplifier/receiver which goes to my Sony Bravia :p Single cable between each device - whole reason for HDMI.

But, if you want to do what you're currently doing for the Mac Mini, you'll need another HDMI cable, and a Toslink optical cable with a 2.5mm connector/plug on one end.

SamTheeGeek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2010
United Kingdom
Ok then...

Cause well, I got my PS3 plugged into my Sony amplifier/receiver which goes to my Sony Bravia :p Single cable between each device - whole reason for HDMI.

But, if you want to do what you're currently doing for the Mac Mini, you'll need another HDMI cable, and a Toslink optical cable with a 2.5mm connector/plug on one end.

aha cool , how many HDMI spots you got on your amplifier / receiver ? because i only got one which connects to my bravia screen so i can watch dvd movies on my home theater. i guess i got a different model. anyways

can you please send me a link of those products so i can see what they looks like and do i get degraded quality adding the connector and all that ?

Vylen

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2010
Sydney, Australia
From memory, 3 HDMI inputs, and 1 HDMI output to connect to the TV.

This is a Toslink cable with 2.5mm mini jack
Lichtleiter-Toslink-Klinke-5.jpg

The long part goes into the Mac Mini's dual headphone/optical port.

There's no degrade in quality using this. It's just an optical cable/port. Only degradation would be because of a dodgy cable but that's less than likely.

SamTheeGeek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2010
United Kingdom
Yep, that's perfectly fine... and such a nice colour too :p

hehe :p popped up when i searched amazon :p

Thanks for all your help dude :) appreciate it ,

funny thing yesterday when i spoke to apple, they didn't know exactly how to connect the optical cable to the mac mini they just told me get the optical cable and it should work , in my mind im like how the hell does that fit inside the mac mini speaker jack ??? o_O

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.